Number of protection dogs - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #101 (permalink)

I acquired my GSD as a protective companion. At the time my husband and I had just moved to a new state and he was away on business frequently.
We lived in a neighborhood and much to my husband's request and delight I took my dog with me everywhere.
We now live on a small isolated farm at the top of a mountain. As well as being a reliable personal protection dog our boy is also a fantastic farm guardian and herder. Just goes to show that with a little guidance and training there is nothing a GSD can't do!
ristakrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #102 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My male is my ppd, my female is my ultra sport dog. She will still bite for real but I wish she had more natural suspicion. I live alone, run a few companies that have potential of causing me to have people who wish me harm either as ex employees, or as other malicious actors. He is a very strong deterrent
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #103 (permalink)

H wanted a large dog as a deterrent, not necessarily for protection. I wanted a GSD because I love them

Our OB trainer also does personal protection training and H has expressed an interest in getting her into that. I'm not sure that's really our thing. I don't think I'm a good enough handler for that.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #104 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarn View Post
....maybe it's b/c we're talking GSDs, but i'm fascinated by the number of people who have PPD or guard dogs.

....can i be all nosy? where do you generally live? what is your motivation for having one?
I live in an area about 15 km away from town that used to be rural, but more and more people is coming. There is my house, my neighbour's house and hundreds of km2 of forest.

My motivation is the same of the humans of 18.000 years ago who liked to have dogs around their fires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarn View Post
(i know when i got luc a friend said 'i've noticed women get large dogs, to protect them' and i was SOOOO insulted. i got a large dog b/c he could keep up w/me physically. also b/c he's a smart dog and i respect that. nothing wrong if you do have/want a PPD/guard dog, i'm just curious )
I'm not insulted at all. I go to places with my dogs where I don't go without them at my side.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #105 (permalink)

We do bitework for Schutzhund but I wouldent consider them protection dogs. If that is what I wanted I would do scenario based bitework mostly inside my home and in areas where I thought I may be attacked.
ed1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #106 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stark is doing a form of personal protection and schutzhund (with agility and obedience and tracking mixed in) but he is in no way a "protection dog". He doesn't have the temperament for it. We are doing this type of training for fun and to exercise control.

Zefra trains in schutzhund but would also do extremely well in personal protection, but it's not something that I personally want to get into at this point in time. Probably down the road but for now, I am enjoying schutzhund and learning.

I did not get my dogs with the thought of them protecting me. I always laugh when people are terrified of Stark but are so quick to cuddle on little Zefra. Stark is my mush and would pee himself if someone came at me or him while Zefra would be excited for the fight.. lol.

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #107 (permalink)

Dogs are a very good deterrent when you don't make the mistake of thinking they will be able to handle any kind of threat. A "Beware of Dogs" sign and enthusiastic barkers will often make the casual burglar moved on. However, there is no ultimate deterrent like a a shotgun aimed down the stairs at unwanted visitors. That's why we have one in the bedroom.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.