Police K9 kennel insert- Dodge Charger/Magnum - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Police K9 kennel insert- Dodge Charger/Magnum

Has anyone purchased and installed a police K9 kennel insert into a Dodge Charger or Magnum, or does anyone know of anybody who has? Would they work well for day-to-day transport use? Is there enough room for the dog to lie down? What about front seat movement- does the unit restrict how far back the driver's seat can move backward?

I know they're awful expensive, but I'm still surprised to not see more of these units coming up in non-police situations. They aren't that much more expensive than aluminum kennels, and they're custom fit to the car/truck. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I'm talking about these:

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training

Last edited by wildo; 10-14-2014 at 06:39 PM.
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, the Charger is a family car of sorts, so this unit would basically void the backseat. I'm guessing that this has a lot to do with its non-proliferation
Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default K9 cage

PM sent
A_selders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie1 View Post
Well, the Charger is a family car of sorts, so this unit would basically void the backseat. I'm guessing that this has a lot to do with its non-proliferation
Ha! Respectfully, I'd say not many family cars have 370HP and 395 ft-lbs of torque from the factory... I'm not sure that the average soccer mom is the intended audience for the Charger or Magnum- though, certainly let me know if you find such a (single) lady...

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You know, I have never thought about it, but I do think it is a great idea Willy. It looks like there would be more than enough room for the dog to be very comfortable. I am sure however, you would be restricted in front seat movement. Are you looking to replace the Mazda? You had a pretty sweet set up in that thing.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

In the time I have done search and rescue I have seen only one vehicle set up that way. The typical truck/SUV has the ground clearance and gearing suited to that kind of work. For overall untility, I don't think you can beat the truck option.

In our area, I see more and more K9 vehicles on an SUV chassis than a car (though there are cars out there).

Downside of car is if you look, most police cars have heavy duty alternators and run the AC with the dog inside when the car is parked. There is only so much cooling you are going to get with the window class of a car and open windows. If you go that route, please park far away from the people with open windows. I get so mad to find hot exhaust from another vehicle blowing into my open truck...and spend the extra money for a good alarm system.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There doesn't seem to be a secondary door on the unit, is that just the picture you have up? I personally don't like the idea of opening the door and my dog being right there and able to jump out. And like Nancy mentioned, you can leave doors/hatches open and the dog is still contained when it's warm out and you're at training all day..

I don't know many people that know they will be constantly transporting dogs, purchasing sedans (I know the magnum is a wagon but they don't make those anymore). Most people just go the SUV/minivan route and have a crate in the back. I believe you can get those for a little more than $1000. There are a lot of options out there that aren't just the heavy gauge aluminum because not all dogs are crazy in their crate and will destroy it so the crate is cheaper.

Most people also do still need to use their back seat once in a while...and so a unit like this, which seems pretty permanent...probably not the greatest option. If you were to just have a dedicated "dog car" this could work, but I don't think most people would be purchasing a sedan as their dedicated dog car...too impractical.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah, this happened a while ago:

I went years in the Mazda with no back seat, and so far I haven't missed it in the Magnum. i think you raise a good point about secondary doors, though with the police insert. The biggest thing is that I need to get two dogs in that area, and I'd really prefer them to be parallel with the car. I suppose I'll probably have to go the custom route again. Just seemed like the police insert could be a decent option.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Noticed your signage. Normally k9 means police service dog .... add a police style unit and aren't you concerned people may mistake you for the police? I assume they use the charger for patrol purposes since an insert is available for it.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No, I'm not too concerned about it, for a number of reasons: There are no Magnum police cars around here. To be arrested or even pulled over for "impersonating a police officer" you have to actually do that. If I had some kind of siren or light system- then things could get dicey. As it is, I did get pulled over the other day for speeding, and the state trooper didn't even mention the decal. I do have people reluctant to pass me when driving, but usually once they get even with me- they speed away. Lastly, a technicality, around here all the police decals say "K9" not "K-9"

Mostly, I just hate the wire crates and was looking at options. It's curious that more people don't use the police inserts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.