Personal encounter with Security K9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Personal encounter with Security K9

So, probably this should be in chat, but since it directly deals with a working K9 I put it here. Figure I could tell my funny story and maybe get some feedback from detection handlers.

I just got back from an amazing vacation to Charleston SC. My flight in(and out) was fantastic. Go JetBlue! And I had just deplaned in Charleston and went to a vendor to buy a pair of sunglasses, which I had forgotten.

As I was standing in line to pay, a K9 handler passed by with her GSD. I paid no mind, I know better. But, well, the dog showed a lot of interest in me. He pulled his handler over to me. And by pulled, I mean, he was on loose leash and diverted her towards me. He sniffed all over, my bag, my leg, my hand and circled me. Talk about heart attack!!! I looked at the handler, she smiled and said "dog lover?" To which I replied "yup, have working dogs myself!" She laughed and moved on.

Needless to say, I nearly needed to change my clothes. I have never had a detection dog "hit" on me before. But I have to say. The handler was easily able to read her dog and dismissed his interest in me. Thank goodness!!!!

I don't do any drugs and had no weapons or contraband, so while I was a bit freaked, I knew that I had nothing bad on me. But still. A bit uncomfortable!!!

When she moved on I turned to the person behind me and said "well that was freaky!!" And got a good laugh.

I have not been around a lot of this type of detection dog, so I don't know what their normal trained indication is. But obviously he did not give it.

Handlers, has this happened to you? When do you think more of it? When do you write it off as a fluke?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I dont have an explanation, but I can see where it was a different kind of experience
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

lol that would have freaked me out,
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Most security k9's I dealt with were used for patrol functions not detection. In addition it was against policy and common sense to allow the dogs to interact with the public no matter how social they were..
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg1; 07-28-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That would be freaky! You're right, she probably knew if the dog didn't do a formal indication, I'm guessing.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

@gsdsar… thanks for sharing!

Here is one of my stories:
A colleague and I were returning from a trip to Asia. We had passed through passport control and were awaiting our baggage before going through customs.

Next thing we both knew, there was a Beagle indicating at my colleague’s carry-on bag. We were both somewhat confused/amused, but the handler told my colleague that he had to search her bag.

It turns out the offending item was an apple my colleague had purchased prior to the flight from Asia as she thought she would eat it en-route.

I know, disappointing… just an apple. But, trust me, the whole experience made for many good jokes. I mean, how could I not comment on the first thoughts that crossed my mind after the Beagle indicated on her bag… lol!

I have many other funny/freaky border control and customs stories. But, Chip18's photo of the Beagle made me think of this one.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

It sounds like the dog was crittering (general term for showing interest in something besides target odor) and the handler recognized this by reading the dog.

A searching dog is constantly investigating and discarding odors. They show interest in many things and then leave them to search for what gets them paid (rewarded). The handler knows the dog, and has probably seen the dog show interest in many people for the same reason.
The indication for most dogs now a days is a passive alert; sit or down stay at source. It looks different than a regular sit. There is also an increased excitement in the dog. Here's a pic of Fama indicating. You can see it's different than a normal sit. She is focused on the source of odor.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah. It was obvious to me that the dog was not working scent. Just being nosy!! But I was sure was glad that the handler read the dog correct as well. Of course had she said she needed to search me, I would have happily complied. I had nothing.

It sure was hard not petting him though. Wanted to reach out and give him a scratch.

That said, he looked to be an ASL. Which was cool to see.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was also hit on by a K9 working at an airport in Washington, DC.

Dog came over, sniffed, and sat. I nearly had a heart attack, thinking someone had slipped something in my bag.

Turned out it was a food detection K9 and he had scented a sandwich that had been in there... But I had already eaten it on the plane
"Sorry, dog..." I pointed to my stomach. I opened the empty bag. The handler laughed and moved on.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 07-30-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.