German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Police K-9 (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/police-k-9/)
-   -   Police K9 Test Vids (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/police-k-9/459986-police-k9-test-vids.html)

Blitzkrieg1 06-12-2014 11:18 PM

Police K9 Test Vids

Reposting this from another forum. Police dog testing in Czeck. Some of the dogs get run so watch all the way through.
Sadly most of the dogs that had a poor showing were GSD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDW7S2BKX_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hzorbbescM

boomer11 06-12-2014 11:34 PM

Are those the actual handlers of the dogs or just strangers walking the dogs for a test?

If you (a complete stranger) walked my dog and someone attacked you he would pop some pop corn, sit there and watch the show.

llombardo 06-13-2014 02:04 AM

I watched some of the first video and my thoughts are would these dogs attack someone without command if they weren't wearing the suit? If in their training they connect that suit with attack? I only think this because even in basic obedience I find that dogs see or hear things that are routine in training and know what is next. For example(I have had two different dogs/breeds do this) when training just a basic front they are put in a sit and told to wait while I walk 50 ft away then the trainer will yell call your dog, my dogs got used to hearing that and knew that I was calling them within seconds and they both started jumping the gun. Finally figured it out and had the trainer stop yelling call your dog and just raise her arm, worked like a charm in both cases. My point is that the dogs know what happens when they see the suit, so I would think they can anticipate what happens next, I want to know how they are trained to go from suit to real life with no suit without command? If someone sneaks up on someone with a dog without a suit or time to give a command, will the dog react the same way?

Blitzkrieg1 06-13-2014 02:09 AM

For me the question is not the training. Look at the dogs and see how they respond to the abrupt aggressive onrush of the decoy.
Some hesitate and attack, some attack and a few ran. For me its obvious which of the three I would prefer to trust my life to.

llombardo 06-13-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 (Post 5637098)
For me the question is not the training. Look at the dogs and see how they respond to the abrupt aggressive onrush of the decoy.
Some hesitate and attack, some attack and a few ran. For me its obvious which of the three I would prefer to trust my life to.

But again how much training did each of these dogs have up to this point? Are some more conditioned to the suit, see it and know to attack? We don't know if all of those dogs have had the same exposure to the body suit. Just by how some of them attacked its evident that they had no training with it and vice versa, some looked like they had training already. If they are doing a test, every dog should have the same exposure.

Blitzkrieg1 06-13-2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5637314)
But again how much training did each of these dogs have up to this point? Are some more conditioned to the suit, see it and know to attack? We don't know if all of those dogs have had the same exposure to the body suit. Just by how some of them attacked its evident that they had no training with it and vice versa, some looked like they had training already. If they are doing a test, every dog should have the same exposure.

Nope if the dog runs because it hasnt seen a suit before its not the right dog. You also saw some of those dogs reattacked when the decoy turned his back on them. In the end its all about nerve.
You can condition a weak dog to bite the suit till kingdom come but you get the dog out of its comfort zone, surprise it, apply pressure and the truth will be revealed. There is no need to overthink it. Weak nerve was exposed in the end training means little to the dogs initial reaction. It has nothing to do with fair.

hunterisgreat 06-13-2014 08:44 AM

Can't get the video to pull up, but it sounds like they are testing genetics/character not training.

mycobraracr 06-13-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 (Post 5637522)
Nope if the dog runs because it hasnt seen a suit before its not the right dog. You also saw some of those dogs reattacked when the decoy turned his back on them. In the end its all about nerve.
You can condition a weak dog to bite the suit till kingdom come but you get the dog out of its comfort zone, surprise it, apply pressure and the truth will be revealed. There is no need to overthink it. Weak nerve was exposed in the end training means little to the dogs initial reaction. It has nothing to do with fair.

:thumbup: These dogs all appeared to have very minimal training if any at all. It's not about training but nerve. It wasn't a test of already trained K9's, but a test to see if the dogs have the what it takes to be K9's.

boomer11 06-13-2014 10:46 AM

We must be watching different videos because those dogs looked trained to me.

Unless you're telling me a dog knows to instantly go for a leg bite? Those dogs knew to target leg and fore arm.

Charging a green dog from behind would be a better test than charging the handler.

mycobraracr 06-13-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 5638113)
We must be watching different videos because those dogs looked trained to me.

Unless you're telling me a dog knows to instantly go for a leg bite? Those dogs knew to target leg and fore arm.

Charging a green dog from behind would be a better test than charging the handler.

Ever hear of fight or flight? Here is a test for you. Go to a bar tonight. Just start charging random guys. Some will back up or try to avoid you. Some will stand their ground and punch you in the face. Ask those that punched you in the face if they are trained fighters. I'm sure the majority are not. It's just in them.

Those dogs didn't appear to be targeting to me. Just biting the first thing they can get to. Some even bit the chest/stomach area. Hmm....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App