German Shepherds Forum banner

Police K9 Test Vids

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Tobi 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I watched some of the first video and my thoughts are would these dogs attack someone without command if they weren't wearing the suit? If in their training they connect that suit with attack? I only think this because even in basic obedience I find that dogs see or hear things that are routine in training and know what is next. For example(I have had two different dogs/breeds do this) when training just a basic front they are put in a sit and told to wait while I walk 50 ft away then the trainer will yell call your dog, my dogs got used to hearing that and knew that I was calling them within seconds and they both started jumping the gun. Finally figured it out and had the trainer stop yelling call your dog and just raise her arm, worked like a charm in both cases. My point is that the dogs know what happens when they see the suit, so I would think they can anticipate what happens next, I want to know how they are trained to go from suit to real life with no suit without command? If someone sneaks up on someone with a dog without a suit or time to give a command, will the dog react the same way?

#5 ·
But again how much training did each of these dogs have up to this point? Are some more conditioned to the suit, see it and know to attack? We don't know if all of those dogs have had the same exposure to the body suit. Just by how some of them attacked its evident that they had no training with it and vice versa, some looked like they had training already. If they are doing a test, every dog should have the same exposure.

#9 ·
We must be watching different videos because those dogs looked trained to me.

Unless you're telling me a dog knows to instantly go for a leg bite? Those dogs knew to target leg and fore arm.

Charging a green dog from behind would be a better test than charging the handler.

#10 ·
Ever hear of fight or flight? Here is a test for you. Go to a bar tonight. Just start charging random guys. Some will back up or try to avoid you. Some will stand their ground and punch you in the face. Ask those that punched you in the face if they are trained fighters. I'm sure the majority are not. It's just in them.

Those dogs didn't appear to be targeting to me. Just biting the first thing they can get to. Some even bit the chest/stomach area. Hmm....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#14 ·
I'm with Boomer here actually. I watch the video. Some dogs were scared off but bounced back, some did well, and others...

But one thing in common is that they all knew what they were looking for. The leg bites especially, they had other targets presented to them but still went for the legs. And otherwise looked like they have at least had a few bites in them.

The results are what they are, but don't try to sell me the idea that these are fresh dogs off the streets, people's pets, that all of a sudden knew how to target the like 3 places we usually train them to. That **** ain't instinct :)

But whatever, what do I know... just looked, to me, like the dogs mostly knew what they were looking for

#15 · (Edited)
I actually have no clue if they were green or not. Some seemed more trained then others. What I was interested in was initial response. Whether the dogs are working already or not the first response is where I think we saw whats in the dog.
The jug test was also interesting some dogs stayed in the fight a few were downright afraid of the weird decoy. You could see it in their ear set and body carriage. Does the dog presented with a non traditional target aggress and continue after a miss or does he start to fall apart?

#16 ·
hard to really make comments on the dogs .

Some handlers were prepared and were part of the set up. They spun around which signals the dog that "you" are concerned, which gives a different response.
The decoy gave no signal as to his intentions when he comes on to the scene.
The dogs look first and then respond .

You can not have your dog immediately assume that someone coming up on you from behind is a threat .

I couldn't go to the Beach boardwalk if that were the case.

In French ring there are exercises where the dog watches your back.

#17 · (Edited)
Honestly, it's clear there were some really horrible GSDs there but i doubt the breeders are surprised. Repeatedly breeding average dogs for several generations, that's what you get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2KGVaQiv9M&list=UUHRE_ICZRV-pGCuNOoYUgtw

There's a malinois getting run off here and a showline GSD passing....:D
Good and bad dogs everywhere and in every breed but i think the beauty of the GSD is in itself a problem, Many working line breeders still breed average females that can barely give full grips consistently on the field or have some environmental issues to popular studs and expect magic plus the big craze on size. People boasting about their dogs that are well over 100 pounds ...Nonetheless, there will always be some breeders committed to breeding the best to the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I_HuSl8pRs

Nice dog at 12:57

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.