German Shepherds Forum banner

A Quick Question For PP Dog Trainers.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ellimaybel 
#1 ·
I have been working with a trainer for the last three weeks now and have had good results. I asked him about personal protection training and what was involved. Come to find out, he or his business trains our local law enforcement K-9's and he said for that reason, he could not train other dogs in PP. Why is this the case?

#2 ·
Because then you would know all of the commands used and everything that the police use and could use that against the police if you so desired. Just my guess.

#4 ·
Even if you knew the commands for the LE dogs you couldn't use them. Properly trained police dogs will only take commands from their handlers.

It might be that there is some conflict of interest. It might be due to the contract he has with the department. It might be that he needs special licensing to train PP dogs that is not necessary with LE K-9's.

It's weird that he won't just give you an answer though.

#5 ·
I'd assume its a huge business risk...if he trains your dog in PP, your dog does something stupid like bite a kid, some reporter out there will figure out who trained your dog, connect him to the department, and then the department is screwed because all their dogs will be questioned.

He also probably makes A LOT more money from the departments and other government units than he would by giving you a weekly session in PP, so its just not worth the risk.

#6 ·
Yeah conflict of interest makes sense. Like building a nuclear weapon for the USA and then building one for Russia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.