German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Police K-9 (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/police-k-9/)
-   -   K-9 Training around children (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/police-k-9/398745-k-9-training-around-children.html)

policewifemrsmitchell 01-20-2014 01:51 AM

K-9 Training around children

I just recently bought a pure breed German Shepherd. He's 5 weeks old and I want to get him police trained asap! Would that make him more agressive though to where he can't be around kids?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

KZoppa 01-20-2014 02:28 AM

I've got no advice other than where the heck did you get a 5 week old GSD puppy?! They shouldn't leave their litter and mom until at the earliest 8 weeks!

A well bred, mentally balanced, properly socialized GSD should be able to work and be around people of all ages without difficulty. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more info.

Is the pup intended to be used as a police dog?!

harmony 01-20-2014 02:35 AM

yep 5 weeks is to young. You can train a dog around kids, and you have to train the kids around the dog. A high energy dog with drive and aggression you better train your kids ok

David Taggart 01-20-2014 02:44 AM

Quote:

Would that make him more agressive though to where he can't be around kids?
I see, you don't know what you are talking about. K9 dogs are police dogs. Police has resources of volunteers - is it where you intend to work? You should join a Schutzhund club then, when your puppy is three months old, pass obedience there first (at 6 months) and they will tell you if your dog is up to at all, train your dog in socialization with people and other dogs in the club before he is one year old, only then you can approach kids without a muzzle. K9s bite only because their handler told them to, not because they want to.

harmony 01-20-2014 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taggart (Post 4866825)
I see, you don't know what you are talking about. K9 dogs are police dogs. Police has resources of volunteers - is it where you intend to work? You should join a Schutzhund club then, when your puppy is three months old, pass obedience there first (at 6 months) and they will tell you if your dog is up to at all, train your dog in socialization with people and other dogs in the club before he is one year old, only then you can approach kids without a muzzle. K9s bite only because their handler told them to, not because they want to.

I do obedience at 9 months and no bite work before a year or more, unless it is a game of tug. And yes they do but it is directed :)

harmony 01-20-2014 03:01 AM

I know people start things different but I can show in OB at 9 months. And k9s are not forced in anyway to bite, they are directed because they are breed for the drive and such :)

carmspack 01-20-2014 03:47 AM

oh no ! "when your puppy is three months old, pass obedience there first (at 6 months) and they will tell you if your dog is up to at all, train your dog in socialization with people and other dogs in the club before he is one year old, only then you can approach kids without a muzzle. K9s bite only because their handler told them to, not because they want to. "

recipe for disaster .

LoveEcho 01-20-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by policewifemrsmitchell (Post 4866657)
I just recently bought a pure breed German Shepherd. He's 5 weeks old and I want to get him police trained asap! Would that make him more agressive though to where he can't be around kids?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

What exactly do you mean by "police trained"?

tacticalseries 01-20-2014 08:45 AM

Stick with obedience for now, It will give him the smarts to work better and be more proficient. When you get your dog to bite on command, Giving them the "OUST" Command is very important and is another part of their obedience.

jocoyn 01-20-2014 08:55 AM

Oh dear.

You have a 5 week old puppy. Lets not worry about anything but keeping him a alive and socialized right now. He is going to be vulnerable to diseases so work with a vet on that. Do some research on puppy food ... what are you feeding him right now? What is your budget?

He needs to spend time with other well behaved dogs; adults who are nice and gentle with puppies. At 5 weeks he lost the critical period of playing with and bonding with other dogs. That time teaches him how to control his bite and how to relate to other dogs.

He was sold to you way too young and you have to face the fact that anyone properly breeding dogs for police work (or anything else) is not going to let that pup go to a new home until it is 7-8 weeks old. That means you may not have a dog that has the "genetics" to be suitable for this.

He is going to start biting anyone and everyone and we have good advice on the forum for training a puppy to bite a toy not a person (including a child). That advice is good for dogs that later are used for biting sports or police service work. Please take the time to go to the puppy section and browse through the threads. At least the ones marked "sticky". There is a lot of great info here on raising a puppy.

Just get him to being a nice friendly obedience trained pet right now. There is no ASAP about training a dog for "police" work. Truth be known, the police don't even take a dog into their own training programs until it is about a year and a half old.