German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Police K-9 (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/police-k-9/)
-   -   Question on male-female bite force (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/police-k-9/390874-question-male-female-bite-force.html)

Rezource 01-04-2014 05:01 AM

Question on male-female bite force

So I was wondering... does a Male German Shepherd have a stronger bite force than a Female German Shepherd? I just want to know because I have seen police German Shepherds bite criminals and I'm just curious, and how much difference is in the bite force between a Male and Female German Shepherds?

MaggieRoseLee 01-04-2014 11:29 AM

Trying to get this moved out of aggression and into the 'working' dog section for an answer.

mycobraracr 01-04-2014 12:29 PM

Bite force generally speaking, comes from head size/shape. No one can really answer your question, because it really comes down to the individual dogs. I have seen some very hard biting males and females. I have been bit by both males and females. All I know is that they both hurt!

Freestep 01-04-2014 12:37 PM

"Mythbusters" or another similar TV show actually did a bite force test with a Malinois, Rottweiler, and Mastiff. Predictably, the Mastiff had the greatest bite force because of the size of the head and jaw, and the attached musculature. When we're talking about nothing but physics, size matters, so a larger male would have more bite force than a smaller female.

carmspack 01-04-2014 01:09 PM

bite is not just a physical trait , there is a mental component also !

you know the saying ---- a woman is like a tea bag --- you never know how strong it is until you drop it into hot water ---

Freestep 01-04-2014 01:57 PM

Indeed, there is definitely a mental component to bite force. A dog will only bite with as much force as he/she wants to... so, a smaller dog might bite harder than a bigger dog!

David Taggart 01-04-2014 03:39 PM

No difference. Both, in Schutz they are called "good dogs". Something is purely genetic. Large well structured teeth were always valued in the GSD working line, but jaw muscles can be strengthened through training only. When your puppy is 3-4 months old you leave him a bone to munch on, play war-of-tug and introduce to Schutz protection. Smaller GSDs are known to hold for longer, it is easier to lift them due to their waight, and they are better jumpers. It depends on your dog's temperament and drive, experience, experience of your instructor, the helpers, the decoy, everything. Many thing can put your dog off bite. Seemingly simple question requires a complicated answer.

SunCzarina 01-25-2014 12:12 AM

An angry male will bite harder and hold. An angry female will hit multiple places and inflict more pain.

mycobraracr 01-25-2014 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunCzarina (Post 4900897)
An angry male will bite harder and hold. An angry female will hit multiple places and inflict more pain.

How on earth did you come up with this?

crackem 01-25-2014 12:26 AM

?????????

That's a head scratcher.

Anyway size matters. Everything else being equal the larger head is going to generate more force