Detection handler requirements - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Detection handler requirements

Would anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction on finding the information (or who I should talk to) for the handler legal requirements for training a (drug) detection K9?
Most of the cities in my area do not have K9 units and use teams from the private sector for detection work. I am having quite a bit of trouble finding the information. I'm trying to figure out if I can even train and work a dog as a civilian, if I would need special licensing, or if I would have to train with/under a K9 officer/ police department. Any information appreciated.
mjstk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Most police departments would not permit a civilian handler to train drugs with them. There are liability issues and issues with the use of drugs for training aids. There is nothing preventing a civilian from training and working a drug/explosives/cadaver or any of the other detector type dogs. There would be an issue for possessing the drugs necessary. The options would be to obtain an ATF license for explosives; a DEA license for drugs etc. There are some civilians that provide a service to private industry and private citizens in the area of drug detection. A civilian drug detector would not be required to report presence of drugs or make arrests. They could turn the matter over to the business owner, or house owner etc. Law enforcement couldn't do that as they would be required to take action.

DFrost

DFrost
DFrost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you.

An officer friend is going to talk to a few of the retired K9 handlers and find out if any of them would be willing to help me train as well.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstk View Post
Would anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction on finding the information (or who I should talk to) for the handler legal requirements for training a (drug) detection K9?
Most of the cities in my area do not have K9 units and use teams from the private sector for detection work. I am having quite a bit of trouble finding the information. I'm trying to figure out if I can even train and work a dog as a civilian, if I would need special licensing, or if I would have to train with/under a K9 officer/ police department. Any information appreciated.
Unless you are in the military, everyone is a civilian, PO included no matter what they tell you.

However, I too am interested in this training for Lisl for the private sector for corporations and large public works projects for on-site detection.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFrost View Post
Most police departments would not permit a civilian handler to train drugs with them. There are liability issues and issues with the use of drugs for training aids. There is nothing preventing a civilian from training and working a drug/explosives/cadaver or any of the other detector type dogs. There would be an issue for possessing the drugs necessary. The options would be to obtain an ATF license for explosives; a DEA license for drugs etc. There are some civilians that provide a service to private industry and private citizens in the area of drug detection. A civilian drug detector would not be required to report presence of drugs or make arrests. They could turn the matter over to the business owner, or house owner etc. Law enforcement couldn't do that as they would be required to take action.

DFrost

DFrost is right on, as per usual

I know some civilians that train with pseudo...but typically, most law enforcement usually does not. I believe DFrost is of that opinion as well, but I certainly won't speak for him.

Some of the products seem to be getting better, but there really is nothing like training with "the real thing".
www.vandesterke.com
Tim Connell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Let me add to DFrost that depending on your state you might be required to be with a private security company to contract. Also as a civilian you will have a problem with getting the dog certified which is a necessity for working with law enforcement.
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

We use the term civilian to denote non police as well
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you all for the info! It's a big help with my research. I will be checking on my state and city laws for more info on working with the police dept. as a civilian, as I am not able to be in law enforcement myself (can't pass the physical due to luxating patellas). I am also checking out private security outfits, since that seems to be where the bulk of the work is in this area.

What are your thoughts on training a private security detection dog on pseudo-scents? I do realize that the real thing would be best, but if is impossible for me to do so would pseudo give me decent training results? I'm asking because I would assume that the private jobs we would take would be relatively "small time" busts.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstk View Post

What are your thoughts on training a private security detection dog on pseudo-scents? I do realize that the real thing would be best, but if is impossible for me to do so would pseudo give me decent training results? I'm asking because I would assume that the private jobs we would take would be relatively "small time" busts.
It's a long running discussion even among trainers. Personally, I won't use them. I've always said it's like taking blanks to the firing range. None of the certification organizations that I'm aware of, will allow certification using pseudo. Having said that; I'm not aware of any case law where the use of pseudo has had a negative impact on the case. I just don't use them because they aren't real. I've done enough tests on my own, over they years, to show dogs trained on actual drugs will not respond to pseudo.

DFrost

DFrost
DFrost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have no experience with pseudo narcotics but will say I have seen dogs NOT trained on the pseudo cadaver scents who will indicate on new and unusual cadaver odors (for example a dog that has never been exposed to burnt flesh will still indicate on it) notice but NOT indicate on pseudo.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.