German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Police K-9 (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/police-k-9/)
-   -   Certification (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/police-k-9/208241-certification.html)

Tim Connell 01-22-2013 05:03 PM

Certification
 
For the Police K9 handlers here:

After talking with a K9 officer who lives in a remote area of the country, I thought about this:

What certification body are you using in your area of the country for certification: USPCA, NAPWDA, IPWDA, NNDDA, etc. ? Anyone certifying under more than one ?

Is anyone relying solely on "Certification" provided by a private training entity, and not an organization such as one of the above?

It interests me that some regions are sometimes more likely to use one over the other. Thoughts? Is it sometimes just the result of geography, and who is nearby and more convenient for you?

carmspack 01-22-2013 05:08 PM

who do the New Hampshire State Troopers certify under? (have a few dogs there )

cliffson1 01-22-2013 06:11 PM

USPCA and guidelines established by the State Attorney General'soffice.

jocoyn 01-22-2013 06:18 PM

I believe that several of the counties in both NC (that I know of, probably more: Henderson, Polk, Rutherford, Transylvania) and Upstate SC (at Least Greenville) around us certify to NAPWDA (Law Enforcement, that is) - But there are several Master Trainers in both states. IPWDA over in Fayetville, NC

so do we in volunteer SAR but USPCA and NNDDA are closed to non LE, while NAPWDA and IPWDA are open with sponsorship by LE.

I think, only recently, did a law pass in SC requiring patrol dogs who bite to have some sort of certification, not specified. Nothing on detection dogs but many do it. There is a cluster of NAPWDA in the Charleston area as well. Same with Douglas County GA.

---------------

Hey, Tim....do you know Chris Weeks? Just curious. He moved back to New Hampshire to be close to family but he worked for awhile in Raleigh, NC after the service. I think he is USPCA

Tim Connell 01-22-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 2795321)
I believe that several of the counties in both NC (that I know of, probably more: Henderson, Polk, Rutherford, Transylvania) and Upstate SC (at Least Greenville) around us certify to NAPWDA (Law Enforcement, that is) - But there are several Master Trainers in both states. IPWDA over in Fayetville, NC

so do we in volunteer SAR but USPCA and NNDDA are closed to non LE, while NAPWDA and IPWDA are open with sponsorship by LE.

I think, only recently, did a law pass in SC requiring patrol dogs who bite to have some sort of certification, not specified. Nothing on detection dogs but many do it. There is a cluster of NAPWDA in the Charleston area as well. Same with Douglas County GA.

---------------

Hey, Tim....do you know Chris Weeks? Just curious. He moved back to New Hampshire to be close to family but he worked for awhile in Raleigh, NC after the service. I think he is USPCA

I know the Fayetteville guys very well. Went through several Explosives schools there.

Yes, Chris is local to me, and trains with friends of mine.

Tim Connell 01-22-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 2794777)
who do the New Hampshire State Troopers certify under? (have a few dogs there )


They certify under NESPAC I believe. The New England State Police created a Compact which involves Cert standards. I'm presuming they are close to or mirror USPCA.

They run a patrol dog school in house, and the local PD guys that train with them certify USPCA.

Their Explosives dogs cert under IPWDA.

ladylaw203 01-22-2013 08:43 PM

NNDDA is the largest but we have few certifying officials in the east:)

Tim Connell 01-23-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladylaw203 (Post 2796202)
NNDDA is the largest but we have few certifying officials in the east:)

That is true. There are a couple of smaller more regional organizations too, I don't know anyone who has any experience certifying with them.

DFrost 01-23-2013 09:28 AM

We are self-certifying. Our certification standards are a conglomeration of NNDDA, NAPWDA, USPCA and as of the past few years a heavy influence from SWGDOG. I feel the most important part of certification is; 1. A written standard 2. A single blind certification test, well documented 3. Good solid training and utilization records. There are few states that have mandatory POST standards. While I don't necessarily believe there should be a mandatory federal standard, I do believe each state should have a mandatory POST or their equivelent, standard.

DFrost

Tim Connell 01-23-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrost (Post 2798690)
We are self-certifying. Our certification standards are a conglomeration of NNDDA, NAPWDA, USPCA and as of the past few years a heavy influence from SWGDOG. I feel the most important part of certification is; 1. A written standard 2. A single blind certification test, well documented 3. Good solid training and utilization records. There are few states that have mandatory POST standards. While I don't necessarily believe there should be a mandatory federal standard, I do believe each state should have a mandatory POST or their equivelent, standard.

DFrost

There was some discussion a few years ago about a state standard here, but it never gained much traction. Mostly our area is USPCA, and NAPWDA. Many of the Explosives dogs are IPWDA, in part because they have a very good conference in our region every year.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2