Towards Personal Protection Dog, allow strangers to pet and fondle puppy or not? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
I think he wanted the opinion from PPD/K-9 trainers since that is what his dog will be and raising that type of dog can indeed be very different than your average dog owner I don't think he meant any offense by it (and I'm not a PPD trainer, as you can see I still took it upon myself to comment lol)
Very good GSDElsa, you are right on... Further, the answer gave me pause to reflect, and it struck a chord of truth here... llombardo, that is exactly it, no offence. I did a very good job, or got lucky with my personal Companion Dakota. He almost senses what I am thinking. Sadly he is moving slower and slower these days and getting ready to check out. This pup means a lot to me, and I am gathering opinions to do the job right. I did not know if PPD/K-9 or Professional Security Trainers might have a strong opinion on this or not, so this question so I can weigh up the responses......

GSDElsa, I thank you, and it feels right to me.. I was just not sure, and had never tried not having people socialize with my pup when young, hence appealing for help to do it all right. If it does not work out, I am happy to find him a good home and start again, I just want to do the best of my ability to do it right. Hence the appeal to you other GSD Owners. Thank you.. So far your response is going to be my course of action. You seem correct on my reflection, and that is how I raised Cody.

Due to luck or my training: On a lead or chained up, he was on duty. Off lead, he only burred up if he sensed my concern or aggression, or I gave him his command. In ten years, he never hurt anyone, did not have to.

lone Ranger in Oz...
lone Ranger is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you, so far the concensus is the same... I have never held a pup to myself and not let strangers handle him, pet him, say hello puppy style.. I did not know if this could be an advantage some how, hence this Thread.

I was looking to see if that might make him a little more wary or protective or bonded to me. My loyal Dog Dakota raised in the manner like you suggest, Cody was only really on duty when chained up in a truck or something. When loose he was the big boofy anybodys friend, ready for a scratch or pat. Both of my Shepherds have not hurt anyone. I am just looking for the right approach starting from the puppy stage for the best outcome..

I am getting older, and would like a bit more of a protective dog looking out for me, but certainly not a menace to the Public. Just alert and a bit wary around strangers. Cody at times, would not let them get out of their car until I told him it was alright. That is what I want, a bit of attitude... And to make sure I did not just get lucky with Cody.

I have to ask, to get your cumulative experience and judgement...
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
x11
Banned

what is the training plan beyond the puppy phase, what level of protection do you require, a tough looking dog that will bark/growl on command a dog that put people in hospital on command or die trying...?

no such thing as an untrained PPD.

you say you plan ahead, so far its a few weeks ahead at most, if yr dog is actuall going to be capable you should have a complete training schedule from birth to retirement already in place for this to work and to avoid certain dissappointment/disaster or both. do you know how much damage these dogs can do and most likely to the wrong person and the full time committment owning/training one especially from the puppy phase.

Last edited by x11; 12-02-2012 at 10:56 PM.
x11 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Your best bet is to actually go through some protection work training with an experienced trainer. THAT is the only way to ensure your dog will carry through with a response to a serious threat, and not back down in uncertainty or fear. (And actually know what to do, on a foundation of obedience for you to control what essentially becomes a weapon)

If you need a true protection dog, you'll need an experienced trainer. A lack of socialization doesn't create a good guard dog, it creates an uncertain/unconfident dog that won't know how to respond. Most dogs that are reactive to people and bark and growl would sooner flee than confront a threat... it is the well socialized, exposed, TRAINED dog that takes on the threat with confidence as your partner.

Make sense?

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thank you Wild Wolf, and x11... The truth outs now, you are both in line with what I thought all along, but I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.. Call this "Reality Check".. I told my Wife, who was concerned about the interaction with children (hoping for Grandchildren I think), I told Her that the more training a dog got, the more reliable they actually were.

Now this was based on my limited experience (2 GSDs), But I thought a dog that was aroud people all day, all the time like this one will be, the more training he had, the more stable and reliable he would be. I told Her that based on my experience, the more training he had, the less likely he would have a random aggressive response.. It would only be on command.....

Wild Wolf, I fell in love with the GSDs after "Dances With Wolves".. German Shepherds are one of the smartest and as close as I could get. I am going on a dead of winter Yellowstone trip to get close to see them in action. At last report, 98 in 10 packs inside Yellowstone, and about 300 kills. They have discerning taste too, predominately Elk.. heh he.. Yours somehow looks like your pen name.... Maybe it is the snow background, and my leaving in less than 3 1/2 weeks...

Best regards from Oz...
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone Ranger View Post
Thank you Wild Wolf, and x11... The truth outs now, you are both in line with what I thought all along, but I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.. Call this "Reality Check".. I told my Wife, who was concerned about the interaction with children (hoping for Grandchildren I think), I told Her that the more training a dog got, the more reliable they actually were.

Now this was based on my limited experience (2 GSDs), But I thought a dog that was aroud people all day, all the time like this one will be, the more training he had, the more stable and reliable he would be. I told Her that based on my experience, the more training he had, the less likely he would have a random aggressive response.. It would only be on command.....

Wild Wolf, I fell in love with the GSDs after "Dances With Wolves".. German Shepherds are one of the smartest and as close as I could get. I am going on a dead of winter Yellowstone trip to get close to see them in action. At last report, 98 in 10 packs inside Yellowstone, and about 300 kills. They have discerning taste too, predominately Elk.. heh he.. Yours somehow looks like your pen name.... Maybe it is the snow background, and my leaving in less than 3 1/2 weeks...

Best regards from Oz...
I hear you, my friend. Spent 10 years visiting Haliburton Wolf Center 2-3 times a month to research and observe. The sable west German shepherds make me feel close to wolves somehow, they look very wolflike. Wolves were the reason I chose the GSD as my breed so many years ago.

Should also mention got to watch a wild pack in Algonquin, Ontario...

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I merged the two threads - much better to have all the answers in one place.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

CastleMaid,

I regret that you have done this. It was not accidental that I did this, I was looking for perspectives from two different directions. One a Sporting/Family/ or Personal Dog and one from the perspective of a Trainer in Professional K-9 or PPD category.

I have raised two GSDs, and this new pup I get on Jan 15 at 10 weeks old, I wanted to raise the best way possible for my needs. This is Research: I thought I might see perspectives from two different angles on this, that I could get a feel for Domestic vrs Professional training angles... There was a reason I put it in two places... I only have about 3 weeks left before I fly out on Expedition to see the Wolves in action in the dead of winter in Yellowstone. I am back about the 14th of January, and pick up my all black Working Dog style European bloodline GSD on the 15th, already in obedience training twice a day, at 10 weeks.

Thank you for your management of this wonderful Forum, but I accept this merger with regrets...

lone Ranger in Oz, living "Dances with Wolves" as best as possible out on the "Last Frontier" with horses, in Australia.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
x11
Banned

you "regret this merger".....lawyer?
x11 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Lawyer? What, "regret this merger" too big of words for you x11? Actually Director of Bushtracker. I have not called you any bad names x11...

For your interest, I am Director, Inventor, Outback 4x4 self sufficient live in trailers, Military independent load sharing suspension, body armour, watertight to cross rivers to 1.2 metres, United Nations grade refridgeration running on Solar, Water Sterilization systems, and a whole lot more. 48 Employees, Number One in Australia in 4x4 Caravans, and backed up to July 2013 in Deliveries of custom Orders..... Modern Wagon Train gear towed by diesels in 4x4 remote regions.. Not a Brag, a Blessing of the Lord.. Free Website, Free Forum, patterned after this style of Forum with Categories of Interest, 16 years going now. Bushtracker

x11, I only LOOK stupid.... Western Gear living like 1880s... Pot belly stove in house, Travelling with horses and GSDs, Born 150 years too late my 1/2 blood Lakota Sioux Grandfather said...

For any of you GSD Owners that have been helping me, my gift to you, free viewing of my Website to see pictures of very remote country on the Last Frontier in Australia. www.bushtracker.com and my Owners Forum on www.bushtrackerownersforum.com or there is a link to it on the Website. This is not spam, I am not selling anything, I am booked out, this a gift to you to see some interesting gear and country in Australia, free of charge, not spam..
My way of saying thank you and returning something to you for your help.. Free armchair travel to Oz, you are welcome.

Kind regards, "Dances with Wolves" out on the Last Frontier in Australia...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.