When to neuter a "working dog" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When to neuter a "working dog"

One of the male puppies that I retained for our Puppy Training Program has had a request from it's future owners to have the dog neutered while in my care (the puppy stays with us until its 16 weeks old for training) As stated in my contract, I do not spay or neuter a puppy while in my care, but I am thinking they will probably want this puppy neutered eventually.
In the meantime they have also enrolled him in our personal protection dog program that begins at 6 months old. Because of the training and work they want out of this dog I really can't think of any reason to have the dog neutered other than to prevent him from impregnating another dog. I also don't like how neutering a dog sometimes makes them look a bit feminine. Just my personal preference of course, and I haven't actually worked with a neutered dog in a couple years and never for training other than socialization and obedience. So I am not aware of it inhibiting a dog's potential in that aspect.
I don't want to see this dog neutered but if they insist, what would be the best age to have the procedure done? As early as possible, or later in life? Such as 18 months or so? I'd like to have all of his training complete and then let them decide what they want to do with him as far as neutering goes. I think they are worried about him being too much for them to handle, but with proper training and consistency I really don't see that being a problem.
ristakrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Did you ask them why they'd like him neutered now?
Perhaps they want to avoid "male trait" behaviors like marking?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He's going to be their dog. If they want to have him neutered, let them neuter him. It's not the end of the world. There's pros and cons to early and late neutering. Stay out of it and let them do it whenever they feel like it.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
He's going to be their dog. If they want to have him neutered, let them neuter him. It's not the end of the world. There's pros and cons to early and late neutering. Stay out of it and let them do it whenever they feel like it.

There's pros and cons to everything in life and everything w/dogs.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Because I'm the breeder and the trainer of this puppy I am thinking they will decide to go with whatever I suggest to them. I am also thinking they want it done to avoid "male trait" behaviors as mentioned above. At what age would you suggest the procedure be done. I know there is a lot of back and forth on spaying time frames. Is it the same for males?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

If they want to avoid the butthead male stage AKA teenager syndrome, I'd say 6-8 mos.
If he's going to be around a lot of girls in heat though, probably closer to 6mos. so he doesn't clue in as to breeding behaviors
Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are pros and cons to early and late. I don't push either one on anyone and let them make the decision that's right for them.

As I find the vast majority of people aren't responsible enough to have an intact dog of any age, my personal preference is to do it as early as possible.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks! I'll let them make the decision that they feel is best for their dog and maybe include a few links to some information I found online showing the pros and cons of both.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You really think that the butthead teenager thing will just go away with neutering? I think this is more brain related than hormonal. Yes, hormones can affect the brain, but I think removing testicles will not resolve maturity issues.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

No, not all of it but the part that becomes obsessed with the hind ends of females may
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.