When to neuter a "working dog" - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Is there an age to do it so that the bad behavior is avoided, but they still get as large as they normally would without neutering? i.e. a perfect age.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
x.WOLFiE.x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

I haven't had working dogs but IMO 6-8 mos. is fine, genetics play as large of role in "looking feminine" as neutering (or not) does.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
No, not all of it but the part that becomes obsessed with the hind ends of females may
Yep!

OP - I agree it's their dog and I would personally rather see a neutered dog rather then unneutered in a novice owners hands.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.WOLFiE.x View Post
Is there an age to do it so that the bad behavior is avoided, but they still get as large as they normally would without neutering? i.e. a perfect age.
Good training and exercise is what is needed to avoid bad behavior. There is no perfect age for neutering, just pros and cons for early and late. You have to decide for yourself what works for you and your dog.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

We just had intake of a Schnauzer x Poodle at about 7-8mos. of age, and upon meeting his new family's female (not spayed but had made an appointment, she was 12mos. or so) he became completely obsessed!

It is my belief, after working in rescue for some 10yrs., that boys at that age don't really 'know' what is going on, but have some inkling, a tiny clue, and are prone to, well, becoming obsessed and thus being a "butt head"!

Any girl not in standing heat is not going to appreciate the boy taking such an interest in her hindermost parts! My spayed girls get very testy when these "teenage boy" dogs start rooting around in their hineys!!

That's what I meant by "butthead" behavior
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Pros and cons any way you do it so I'd let the owners decide what's best. I've never had problems with my intact males and they train, play, compete, and show with intact females (yes even ones in standing heat, as that is allowed in conformation and certain performance events). My "butthead" happens to be my mix who was neutered around 3 months old. He's my humper too. Nikon, my adult intact male has never humped anything. If a female is in standing heat and he's got his snout in her you know what or is lingering where she marked or dripped then he will drool and chatter but I don't let him do this and it's not like he's trying to drag me out of the house or across a field to get to a female. Honestly it's just never been an issue, other than just having general control over a dog and training a dog manners in public and around other dogs.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Traditionally dogs used for personal protection are not neutered. If I had a male puppy that I wanted to neuter the earliest I would do it is age 2 and a half.
CeCe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

I don't think there is an "age" to do it, I do know i'd never do it at 18 weeks of age, to young in my opinion.

I have had intact dogs up until around 2-2.5 at times, and I didn't have any problems , of course I didn't have intact females around, tho I'm sure we may have come across some out in the big wide world.

In this case I would neuter, but I'd try to put it off until atleast 18months , I speuter when growth plates have closed.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have they already bought and paid for this dog and he's simply with you for training and evaluation? Is there a chance he may not work out for their needs? I wouldn't neuter until, at the very least, he's paid for 100% just in case things don't work out with these people. Most people will want him intact as a sport dog.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

They have bought the dog and paid for training through 4 months of age. The next training program starts at 6 months of age and they seem very interested. I would like to work with the dog/puppy intact just in case the procedure does have any affect on him. I am sure that with training they will have no problems keeping this puppy/dog under control. It would just stink to put all this training into him and then for him to be neutered while with his owners between training and he come back to me... different :P I'll let them weigh the options but to protect myself I will recommend them make that choice after training is complete and he has finished growing. Funny story, the same puppy we are talking about killed a snake today! 5 weeks and one day old and he killed a snake. It was the size of a large worm... but still!!! A snake!
ristakrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.