How to teach aggressive alert - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to teach aggressive alert

I have a dog that's, sadly, not a gsd, but I didn't think spoiledmaltese.com would be of any help.

I have a catahoula leopard dog/bullmastiff, and she's very smart.

I need to know how to teach her to show aggressive behavior On command.(ex:lunging at end of leash, barking and growling, etc.) please understand that being a young female in a very bad neighborhood, this is needed.

She is friendly with almost everyone, but she doesn't like people with hats. She is 14 months.
Don't spay pits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rather than teaching aggressive stance, teach rock solid obedience and let people deduce that this dog would do what you ask. Discourage unknown people from approaching with a command to sit to your dog while warning people you don't know that he is not approachable. most will believe you.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Contact your local schutzhund club if you really want to learn protection behavior and start from the beginning - with obedience.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

She has great, solid obedience training, but that doesn't seem to be working, as ive been mugged twice. She just wags her tail. I don't have a nearby schutzhund club, as the nearest one is two hours drive and I don't have the gas money.

I'm really scared to go outside with her.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you tried to teach her to "speak"? A barking dog is a good deterent. I would carry pepper spray, or whatever is legal in your state.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I train my dog in pp only certain dogs are suited for this type of training otherwise you will have to scare the crap out of your dog to bring out that wanted aggression and it will be fear based. Unpredictable you need a stable dog that that will turn on when you say its word like a switch.

Im worried you are going to take it to the wrong person and they are going to damage your poor dog. It is hard as it is to find a dog like this.

If you want go to the leerburg forum and try and see if they can help you with some basic methods that you can try on your own without hurting your dog.

leerburg has good decent method you can try but still should be tried with a stable dog. Search his site read up and join there.

You can make your dog bark on command but the lunging snarling dog dont get such high hopes for just look for a simple bark i think. Dont get crazy with it.

Invest in a taser id say also or a stun gun. Key chain pepper spray.

Last edited by pets4life; 07-30-2012 at 10:45 AM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Find a trainer versed in protection training and get your dog evaluated. If you don't know what you're doing, don't experiment with your dog. You could have a serious liability on your hands. If you don't have the finances for training, teach your dog basic obedience using online tools and leave it at that. Don't expect your dog to protect you if you aren't able to teach her properly. Invest in mace, stun gun etc if you feel you need protection.

I am a young female and lived in Cook County Chicago for grad school. I was out at all hours of the night coming back from class or going to meetings. I had dogs then too, but I carried mace and a taser. I protected my dogs and myself. Not the other way around. If someone mugs you, you need to give them your things and call the police. It's ridiculous to ask this type of behavior from a dog that hasn't even been evaluated. Perhaps you can get a conealed weapon license and invest in some personal protection classes for yourself if you really feel you need to protect yourself.

Not every dog is a personal protection dog. Only certain dogs have what it takes to do this type of training. Don't force a dog to be aggressive so you can intimidate others. If you are serious about getting her evaluated, find a GOOD trainer (there are tons of yahoos out there) and find out if she is capable of this type of work. If she isn't, leave it at that and enjoy your dog. Don't rush ahead to do something that you might regret later...
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

She knows speak, but it's directed at me. She looks at me and speaks. I carry pepper spray, but it doesnt help when there's a gun at you. I've thought about getting a gun, but I would probably get hurt worse, being that it would take a second to pull it out.

I've seen one man that has a pit bull that's trained to aggress (but never actually do harm) when you point at someone and say "watch him", but his dog wasn't trained by him, he used k9-1.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So what makes you think an attacker wouldn't just shoot your dog if she lunged at him during a robbery?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

yeah "watch him" is the command i use on my dog also

But remember Very few dogs can be trained for this its not training I think its genetic

After seeing and hearing about all these dogs being sent away from my trainer i dont believe its "training" anymore i think its genetic and i dont really have much hope in many other breeds other than gsd's and mals these days for this kind of work sorry but i am being honest by what i am being told by 2 personal protection trainers.

Check out leerburgs article it doesnt teach the "speak" command it teaches a safer way how to train to bark on command but again I dont know how well this will work but I think you should join there or e mail and talk to him yourself since he made it. You need a friend to help you with it not just you so the parks are directed at someone else.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.