How to teach aggressive alert - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Go back and read how OP was robbed already while she had the dog with her. What's the new plan? Make the dog more aggressive so next time the perpetrator can shoot or harm the dog?

Go back and read exactly what OP is asking. She wants to train her dog to behave aggressively and falsely believes that her dog's aggression will protect her from a robbery. People suggested getting a gun, mace or taser and her answer was that the robber will use force against her if she were to pull out of a weapon.
Ya all are jumping to conclusions again. I went back and re-read the first two posts by the OP no where did it say that any kind of weapon is involved. Yes I think the board members should answer the question rather than being all judgemental and snobby. I think the police officer had a good post and I welcome everyones point of view but I think that some are all to quick to judge. The op is not asking how to get the dog to actually attack, just how to alert and look more scary. Are you seriously telling me you don't have a bark command for your dog? Kind of foolish not having one if you ask me. You would rather see someone carry a loaded gun on walks around her neighborhood, Really??
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master Member

You stopped one post short..on her(im guessing a girl) 3rd post she says something along the lines of carrying pepper spray but it wont work when there is a gun pointing at her
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Ya all are jumping to conclusions again. I went back and re-read the first two posts by the OP no where did it say that any kind of weapon is involved.
rooandtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #43 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here's my advice.

1) Move.

2) Buy a German Shepherd and train it in personal protection. (Dog likely cannot protect you against a gun, knife, etc...)

3) Move. Don't make excuses, if your life is in danger where you live you need to move.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Ya all are jumping to conclusions again. I went back and re-read the first two posts by the OP no where did it say that any kind of weapon is involved. Yes I think the board members should answer the question rather than being all judgemental and snobby.
You want us to answer on how to make her dog appear more intimidating? How to make it lunge and bark at others? How to aggress on command? Why should we when we don't agree with her? When none of us have met the dog? When the dog hasn't been evaluated? When you have NO idea of the dog's genetics? When a trainer hasn't seen the dog in person and evaluated it? How is this advisable?

Judgmental and snobby? You have people with DECADES of experience cautioning her against it and you believe it's because we are being snobby? Nice one.

So telling OP to move, find a better neighborhood, notify police, take part in professional training and not to put herself or her dog in danger equals being snobby? News to me
We are advising her based on what we feel is in HER best interest. This isn't people being judgmental. It's people looking out for the safety and well-being of another human being.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
You want us to answer on how to make her dog appear more intimidating? How to make it lunge and bark at others? How to aggress on command? Why should we when we don't agree with her?

We are advising her based on what we feel is in HER best interest. This isn't people being judgmental. It's people looking out for the safety and well-being of another human being.
You are advising her based on what YOU feel is in her best interestest rather than what she asked for and you don't think that is judgemental? Ok well I'm wasting my time with this conversation. I've explained how I teach my dogs to alert on command. Hopefully it helps a little.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooandtree View Post
You stopped one post short..on her(im guessing a girl) 3rd post she says something along the lines of carrying pepper spray but it wont work when there is a gun pointing at her
I didn't see that post, but I've got to say I got the impression from what I did read that she was looking for a deterrent rather than a weapon. I happen to think carrying mace or a baseball bat or whatever weapon is just asking for trouble and escalating the situation. But that is just me. I'm generally a non-confrontational type of person. (unless someone messes with my kids or my furbabies)
Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master Member

i believe thats when the posts started to change..after it was stated these muggers were pointing a gun at her..that there is more too it than just having a dog to seem aggressive when theres a gun involved
rooandtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

the perb has a gun and you have a GSD. perb 1, GSD owner 0.
what's there to teach? don't count on your dog to protect you, you protect your dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
a dog barking and lunging at someone 30' away means nothing
if the person has a gun and wants to rub you. a bat or a pipe
can subdue your dog without a problem.
Quote:
Sure if they really want to get you. However if they are just looking for an easy mark having a growling dog is a great deterrent.

Here is the thing that makes me nuts about this board. You can all jump on and debate until the cows come home if it is good or bad thing to teach but hey how about answering the OP first and tell him how to do it.

My way works ok but others might have some better ideas and I'd love to hear those ways as well. Lets give the OP some real advise mixed in with the debate.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #49 (permalink)

Thanks:-) the situation is that I will not advise anyone to do something that gives them a false sense of security. We who have dealt with crooks up close and personal take them seriously. A barking dog is a good deterrent but to expect a dog to change the mind of someone armed who is determined is foolhardy. Just a fact.:-)
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

If a mugger doesn't take your dog seriously and it's not barking, why would you think it barking is going to make them think twice?
IME, most muggers are desperate and desperate = brave/crazy and a barking dog won't deter someone anyway that wasn't going to be deterred in the 1st place.
As others said, it would wind up to your dog being shot.

As others said, the best suggestion is to move.

PS. I'd like to see a pic of your dog, if possible, it must be huge, yet people barge past with guns and still mug you!?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.