How to teach aggressive alert - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #31 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't spay pits View Post
The point of the alert isn't to fend off a person mugging me, it's to make them look for easier prey in the first place.

If you're 30 feet away and wanting to mug someone, even with a gun, you won't if there's a dog lunging at end of leash, when you can just find someone else.

It's just what I called it. An alert.
So, technically, as long as your dog is seemingly menacing then you'd be fine with that? Just to get the scumbag pick an easier target? If that's the case, then you just have to work on some scary-looking tricks. Teach him to dance, but on the leash, and add a good bark. Not very many people can tell the difference between a happy bark and a threatening bark anyways, lol.

I'd feel bad if I didn't warn you of one thing though: you might be setting yourself up with a false sense of security. I've been there myself, living in a bad neighborhood, thinking that my dog would make someone think twice about messing with me. Unfortunately, it's not true. I don't know if it was mental illness, bad drugs, or what - but this jerk didn't even SEE my dog. Scared the crap out of me, and I did end up moving.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Elite Member

what did he do to you blank?
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

All that aside, I'm curious about the username -- why shouldn't you spay pits?

Sorry to digress, just curious.
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
Knighted Member

pets4life: nothing happened because I can run like the wind when I'm terrified, lol. I can't repeat what the guy said to me on a family forum, but what scared me the most is that he came after me in broad daylight, while I was walking my GSD. He didn't see the dog! He seemed to think he could drag me into an alley. I don't know what my dog would have done. In my fantasy world my dog would have chomped him where it counts, but then there's also the problem of a dog being deemed "dangerous". This is what I worry about. Unless it's a life-or-death situation, I don't want my dog involved.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not a trainer and I'm not going to get into if training your dog to look agressive is good or bad. What we do is when dog hackles go up and barks naturally (i.e. when someone knocks on door) we say "Who is it" in a low kind of growly voice. Make it a game. Have family members knock at the door and play who is it... Pretty soon they figure out that "Who is it", means hackles up and bark at door. They will lick them do death if we open the door but it is great for scaring off unwanted salemen and missionaries. Once had a guy knock at the door saying he was from the water company and that he needed to come in and check my water. I had a hinky feeling and said no he grabed the handle to the screen door like he was going to push his way in... I said "who is it" and my shepherds hackles came up and she let out a low very mean growl. He turned and left. I called police and learned that there was a rapist in area who had pulled that trick several times. Needless to say she got a lot of cookies and treats for that one.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

a dog barking and lunging at someone 30' away means nothing
if the person has a gun and wants to rub you. a bat or a pipe
can subdue your dog without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't spay pits View Post
The point of the alert isn't to fend off a person mugging me, it's to make them look for easier prey in the first place.

>>>> If you're 30 feet away and wanting to mug someone, even with a gun, you won't if there's a dog lunging at end of leash, when you can just find someone else. <<<<

It's just what I called it. An alert.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I like training a key word to get my dogs to bark too. But just like the old saying, "fences keep the honest people out" - no matter what your dog's doing, either a pet barking or a serious personal protection trained threat, if someone wants to hurt you bad enough, they will.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master Member

maybe you yourself should take self defense classes or talk to your local police about what you can do to protect yourself..i was involved in a scary situation that i wont get into..but the police told me that it was my attitude and the way i handled myself that i wasnt hurt...sadly the jerk did leave my house and raped my neighbor..a self defense class will teach you how to handle yourself and give out vibes your not one to be messed with...but if someone pulls a gun on me its not worth my life or my dogs life to hand over whatever it is i have
rooandtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
a dog barking and lunging at someone 30' away means nothing
if the person has a gun and wants to rub you. a bat or a pipe
can subdue your dog without a problem.
Sure if they really want to get you. However if they are just looking for an easy mark having a growling dog is a great deterrent.

Here is the thing that makes me nuts about this board. You can all jump on and debate until the cows come home if it is good or bad thing to teach but hey how about answering the OP first and tell him how to do it.

My way works ok but others might have some better ideas and I'd love to hear those ways as well. Lets give the OP some real advise mixed in with the debate.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
Someone who is serious and has a weapon will shoot the dog. I have been a cop and handler for many years and we never knowingly deploy our dogs into a situation involving a weapon. They are a deterrent but not the answer if the crook is serious and armed and you might end up shot yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Sure if they really want to get you. However if they are just looking for an easy mark having a growling dog is a great deterrent.
Go back and read how OP was robbed already while she had the dog with her. What's the new plan? Make the dog more aggressive so next time the perpetrator can shoot or harm the dog?

Quote:
Here is the thing that makes me nuts about this board. You can all jump on and debate until the cows come home if it is good or bad thing to teach but hey how about answering the OP first and tell him how to do it.
Go back and read exactly what OP is asking. She wants to train her dog to behave aggressively and falsely believes that her dog's aggression will protect her from a robbery. People suggested getting a gun, mace or taser and her answer was that the robber will use force against her if she were to pull out of a weapon.

So what's the reasoning? Put the dog out there and hope for the best? Are you seriously advocating that the board members answer her question? You want those of us that participate in protection sports to start giving her tips on agitation and aggression? Sure, I can give her tips on how to get her dog lunging and barking. I know how to agitate a dog into that type of behavior. But what kind of ethics is that? If the members on this board feel that her plan has serious logical flaws and don't wish to contribute to the fruition of that plan, why should they answer her?

Let me give you an example. Back in college, I worked as a student liaison in health services. One day, I had a girl come in and start asking odd questions about starvation and weight loss under the guise of it being for a project. I realized that she was asking for ways to hide her developing eating disorder. I immediately reported her to student services.
Now, should I have answered her questions? Was I being judgmental by not doing so? No. I took an ethical stand and refused to take part in her thinking.

Quote:
My way works ok but others might have some better ideas and I'd love to hear those ways as well. Lets give the OP some real advise mixed in with the debate.
We are lucky enough to have a police officer on here contributing to this discussion, and she is telling OP that this isn't a good idea and to find other ways to protect herself. OP would be well advised to listen to Renee.

Last edited by qbchottu; 08-12-2012 at 12:28 PM.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.