How to teach aggressive alert - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Clearly I too should have read the rest of the thread before replying.

You can not actually be seriously asking us how to train your dog to bark and lunge at someone robbing you with a gun. You're going to get your dog, and probably yourself, shot if you actually attempt this.

Move to a better area. Or load your dog up and DRIVE to a better area to walk. If you are actually being honest, and not just making up stories so you can justify the training you wish to do because you are scared of the people you live around, then you really shouldn't be walking in this area at all.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

You cannot train an aggressive response on your own. Nor can you do this just by enlisting another person who may be willing, but doesn't have any idea how to do this work.

The ONLY way to accomplish this, especially safely adn correction, is to find someone who is skilled at doing this sort of training and work with that person.

The suggestion to contact the local SchH club is a good one. Even if they are too far for you to attend regularly, and you're not interested in SchH as a whole, they may have someone there at the club, or know of someone else in the area, that they can point you to who has the skills to help you with the training you desire.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

The point of the alert isn't to fend off a person mugging me, it's to make them look for easier prey in the first place.

If you're 30 feet away and wanting to mug someone, even with a gun, you won't if there's a dog lunging at end of leash, when you can just find someone else.

It's just what I called it. An alert.
Don't spay pits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

I know my dogs genetics because my uncle is the breeder and I know his dogs, and the parents of those dogs, and so on, as long as I've been on this planet.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

I kinda ride a city bus... I can't get to a safe neighborhood walking from where I am.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't spay pits View Post
I know my dogs genetics because my uncle is the breeder and I know his dogs, and the parents of those dogs, and so on, as long as I've been on this planet.

Just knowing the parents and grandparents and etc does not mean you know how the genetics combine to create temperament made for this kind of work. It's not simply take nice dog a + nice dog b and get nice dog c. It's a lot deeper than that.

You need to contact someone who knows what they are doing to teach this kind of thing. There is no way around it without risking ruining your dog.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #27 (permalink)

A dog is not going to help anyway. Mugger will simply shoot the dog
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Pits Im no expert but I dont think a Catahoula is the kind of dog you are looking for. I truly believe that warinesss towards strangers is genetic and while it can be honed with training there needs to be some basis for it. As to the other posters saying the dog will just be shot by a mugger and will make no difference. I 100% disagree. I used to do K-9 security in extremely dangerous high crime areas I also went to school in a similar area. I know that many of the hoodlums I dealt with and ran into were carrying. The fact of the matter is a dog is a huge detterent especially a warry one. Even if the person has a weapon knife or gun most do not want the noise, or trouble involved in shooting/stabbing a dog. Plus like most predators alot of these individuals are looking for easy marks a person with a lunging growling protective dog does not present that picture. In many of these neighborhoods there is a strong cultural fear towards dogs especially GSD, Dobes and Rotties most of these guys wont even come close to you if you have one. Again, I dont think a Catahoula mix is what you need here.

Good Luck and stay safe.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master Member

You have gotten alot of great advice here. I would save you money for training or for a new place to live. You need someone who is specifically trained in personal protection to train your dog *if* it is evaluated as a good canidate for it. Not all dogs can/will be trained in this manner to protect. Some don't have the nerves to support them in the training and end up just attacking and biting in fear response. I know most of these answers are not what you want to hear but people are being honest with you. Maybe you need to go to a personal protection class and learn how to protect yourself? Find a karate, personal protection, battered womens protection group etc to learn yourself how to protect yourself, watch your environment etc. If a mugger really wants to hurt you or the dog they will reguardless if the dog is happy go lucky or a scarey teeth baring maniac.
I would research your options on what is out there for a new place to live, protection classes for yourself, and contact local trainers/sch clubs to see if someone is willing to help you on the side or point you in the direction to a place close by or someone willing to come to you.
You can also read books and online about certain training ways, commands etc on how to get your dog to respond certain ways. I taught my 3 to whisper and loud speak and the more I give the command the more they respond and quicker. You can try teaching hand signals for certain things for your dog to do. There is no quick fix here. Personal protection training takes a long time to get the dog ready and preforming. Its not something you are just going to teach in your living room one night and be ready to use the following day. It takes time, practice, a ton of training, lots of scenarios played out to make sure the dog understands its commands etc.

Good luck, keep pushing forward, do alot of research, if need be contact your local police department for other advice. And if tasers are legal where you are maybe consider one of them..they sell them at Cabelas and hunting store 100k/500k volts.
Diesel-GSD
Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

Someone who is serious and has a weapon will shoot the dog. I have been a cop and handler for many years and we never knowingly deploy our dogs into a situation involving a weapon. They are a deterrent but not the answer if the crook is serious and armed and you might end up shot yourself
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.