How to teach aggressive alert - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

My income is $1000 a month, so I can't really go to a trainer. I just don't have the money to pay for that luxury. I know how to teach a dog without scaring it, and she's never been hurt by a person. I've been rewarding her when she fixates on suspicious behavior, especially at night, and that's helping a bit.

She doesnt act fearful, but cautious and wary.

I'm scared for my safety.
Don't spay pits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

shooting a dog makes a lot of noise and screaming and trouble they will go look for easier prey.

The whole concept of protection dog was not made up for fun or a joke it actually does work.

But i cant believe they were attacked and mugged with a dog there, that is insane unless the attacker knows them..

Don't spay pits well http://leerburg.com/bark.htm?set=1 here it is training a non biting dog to bark read it

Last edited by pets4life; 07-30-2012 at 10:58 AM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I understand that you are scared for your safety. But you need to find other solutions than training a mixed breed dog to be aggressive for the sake of intimidation. You have no idea what the genetics of this dog are and you have no idea if she is even remotely capable of this type of work. Why bring this type of liability on yourself? I'm sorry, but I can't understand this type of thinking and don't think it's a good idea for you to be training this dog to be aggressive by yourself.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I think you need to train YOU how to deal with this, because if they have a gun, and the dog is with you and they still go after you...even with an aggressive dog, then with a gun...I don't think...you would be able to deter. gbchottu has a post with some good info.

Not sure where you are, but I would be looking for local resources for people that are low cost or free.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

First of all, it wasn't some random idiots breeding her. No, she's not purebred but I've known these guys for a long time and I know what I'm working with here. She's easily capable of this. It's not like im asking her to bite.
Don't spay pits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

lol
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What does knowing the people who bred a mixed dog for many years tell you about the dog's genetics?

No you might not be asking her to bite, but how do you know that won't be an unintended result? And in your own words, you wish to agitate this dog and make her appear intimidating. Young female or not. Bad neighborhood or not. I don't think those are good excuses for what you plan to do. If you think that someone will use force on YOU if you carry a gun, what makes you think they won't use that same force on your dog if it comes down to it? If someone is willing to approach you in spite of you having a dog, I don't think some barking is going to deter them. Were you mugged WHILE you had your dog last time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't spay pits View Post

I need to know how to teach her to show aggressive behavior On command.(ex:lunging at end of leash, barking and growling, etc.) please understand that being a young female in a very bad neighborhood, this is needed.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You come onto a forum asking for advice on how to train a desired behavior. You're getting the best advice. Just because its a GSD forum doesnt mean we dont care about other breeds and want the best possible outcome for their training. Several members here have mixed breeds, including myself. There are certain things you need the guidance of a qualified trainer to teach. What you're asking is one of them for safety sake.

If you're walking with your dog, leash in one hand, pepper spray in the other. My last GSD was naturally protective. If you approached me and I was not comfortable, she would block you, growl and/or bark. My current female is just like your dog. Wagging tail and friendly. I use the fact she's got obedience in my favor because an obedient large breed dog.... well, most people are a little more cautious to approach because they just dont ever know exactly what that dog is trained for.

Find a trainer who knows what they're doing and see if you can work out a payment plan if you're tight on funds.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I guess I missed the part about the gun and being mugged until after I posted. If someone will approach you while you have a dog, and pull a gun, then a dog is not going to keep you safe as they seem to have no fear of that. I think you need to contact your local police and ask for tips on how to stay safe in a bad neighborhood.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't spay pits View Post
She has great, solid obedience training, but that doesn't seem to be working, as ive been mugged twice. She just wags her tail. I don't have a nearby schutzhund club, as the nearest one is two hours drive and I don't have the gas money.

I'm really scared to go outside with her.
2 hours for a schH club really isn't that far, and you misunderstood me. I did not mean you teach your dog basic obedience and expect her to know protection. I meant start with the schH club with schutzhund obedience and then work towards protection work if the club thinks your dog is suitable for the sport.

As far as the neighborhood, if you aren't prepared to actively resisit do NOT get pepper spray or any other kind of weapon. Either move to a nicer area that isn't so dangerous, or don't walk in the area you live in. If you pepper spray someone mugging you, they may pull a weapon on you. Pepper spray is NOT a weapon and it's not much of a deterrence. If people are mugging you with that big of a dog with you, then they aren't going to be deterred by pepper spray and you'll likely just manage to spray yourself or spray them just enough to piss them off but otherwise be ineffective.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.