Some questions abut becoming an officer - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Emoore,

Honestly (and I mean this with absolutely no offense whatsoever) it sounds like you've put a lot of things for yourself on hold due to your husband's requests. You sound perfectly qualified for this job to me, and I've always been a firm believer in doing what makes you happy. If that is what you want to do, then GO FOR IT and good luck!
Tulah v Maringaland- puppy in training!
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettsmom View Post
I have a co-worker facing a similar situation to yours. She has always wanted to be a fireman(woman?)
Firefighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Honestly (and I mean this with absolutely no offense whatsoever) it sounds like you've put a lot of things for yourself on hold due to your husband's requests.
No offence taken.

Thanks guys.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #23 (permalink)

First of all feel free to email me privately. In this area, one can go through an academy on their own. Once you pass TCLEOSE, you can attempt to hire on to an agency.

I have been a cop almost 34yrs. It is rewarding,frustrating,heartbreaking and at times frightening. I can tell you lose the martial arts. Wont help. We street fight. The main thing is the mental part. You will see things that would make Stephen King lose sleep. But at the end of the day,we hope that somewhere along the way we made a difference. That is all we can hope for
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have no input on what it takes to be a LEO but I think you would do a fantastic job. It seems you quit a lot of things because 'hubby' didn't like it. So my only advice is GO FOR IT! You are smart and tough.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with Jax08. Your life should no longer be on hold. Go for it achieve your dreams. I think on many levels you have what it takes to become a police officer. You would be a great asset to any law enforcement team. I wish the best of luck to you Emily. I'm sorry for the circumstance......
However I'm proud of you for being so proactive with starting on your new journey.
DanielleOttoMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
First of all feel free to email me privately. In this area, one can go through an academy on their own. Once you pass TCLEOSE, you can attempt to hire on to an agency.
So you do think it's a good idea to put myself through an academy, pass TCLEOSE, and then apply, rather than applying without? The agencies I've been looking at will hire w/out TCLEOSE and then pay your way through Academy, but maybe you have a better chance if you've already got it.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #27 (permalink)

You might want to ask your local law enforcement agency if they allow ride alongs with their K9 unit (I assume this is your goal). Once you ride with a K9 officer, ask him/her for advice on how to fast-track the procedure.

I was with my department for almost 20 years before I got my first working dog. In my opinion, it's the best gig in the department. Be prepared to spend hundreds and hundreds of volunteer hours helping the K9 unit before you get your first dog.

Our volunteers come out to our K9 training days where they; put on the bite suit, a bite sleeve, hide in buildings, cars, containers and hide training scents. They also have to document where all scents were hidden as well as what scents were used so each handler can do their record keeping.

It seems like an awful lot, but it is fun & rewarding. The end result is what makes it all worth while.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Emily, You can do anything you put your mind to...You have overcome a lot and have achieved a lot..We are all behind any decision you make and are in your corner.
Best of luck...jan
Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm with Danielle Emily. You are an intelligent woman and I have no doubt you are capable of achieving anything you set out to. It's time to make yourself a prioirty.
I totally believe in you. Are you looking at staying local or going back to Austin?
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
So you do think it's a good idea to put myself through an academy, pass TCLEOSE, and then apply, rather than applying without? The agencies I've been looking at will hire w/out TCLEOSE and then pay your way through Academy, but maybe you have a better chance if you've already got it.
was told by a police chief putting yourself through is a bad idea. ppl think they might be certified and acutaly are not, its best to find a low key department and hang with them for a few years then go to a bigger one.
Whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.