Dog Kicking Cop: Reinstated With Back pay - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #21 (permalink)

I can't even believe this!!!!!!!!! This is AWFUL.

That poor dog, that poor dog. That poor dog.
Snickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

I've seen K9 officers train first-hand, and incorporate old-school tactics...

None of which involved beating or kicking the dogs. This man should never be allowed NEAR another dog (or cat, or any other "pet" animal, for that matter!) for the rest of his life. Not just for the abuse, but for sitting around and defending himself.
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugr View Post

None of which involved beating or kicking the dogs. .

I'm about as "old school" as they come. My first working dog school was in Germany in 1966. We didn't use it then, I don't use tactics such as that today.

DFrost

DFrost
DFrost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFrost View Post
I'm about as "old school" as they come. My first working dog school was in Germany in 1966. We didn't use it then, I don't use tactics such as that today.

DFrost
Three thumbs up!

Don't ask me how I managed that, but this post deserves more than just the standard two . So, three!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugr View Post

well obviously this is used somewhere. I have seen some lousy methods in my 25yrs of police k9. I have not seen this extreme but I have seen methods used that I raised **** about and some of it was dog sport. The point is when someone sees something like this they need to start raising **** for as long as it takes.......
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
well obviously this is used somewhere. I have seen some lousy methods in my 25yrs of police k9. I have not seen this extreme but I have seen methods used that I raised **** about and some of it was dog sport. The point is when someone sees something like this they need to start raising **** for as long as it takes.......
A retired state trooper has a training facility here in the area. She is very active in rescue as well and when they get some nice working prospects she wouldn't adopt them out to the police, because she says they treat their dogs like crap and use so much compulsion that it's sickening.

Honestly, I believe it. This is not the first case of of Cops beating their dogs. There was another video where a dog was dragged around, than taken over by the trainer, beaten and the video ended up on youtube.

I also remember the training video from one trainer, that I watched with a team mate where they shaved the dogs neck so the electric shock was stronger. That dog wasn't treated very well either. Not going into details but it made me sick to my stomach. It was just wrong and that was a police training video.

Plus, it sort of happens everywhere. Doesn't matter if a pet home, sport home or working home... there will always be people that take "corrections" (if you can even call that) to a new level.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
I wasn't knocking "old-school" tactics. Just pointing out that I've seen them used in training K9 police dogs. Brought it up to point it out that beating and kicking the dogs STILL has no place in training, no matter how "old school" your training regimen is.

As someone else in this thread said it is a lot more carrot than stick nowadays, and I did see a lot of that even (the carrot).
Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD2 View Post
Here is a petition asking for full prosecution of this idiot. It is true that the entire department should be re-done, I can't believe so many stood up for him and said it was commone practice but perhaps prosecuting this one will make the others think twice. Maybe there is more we could do, IDK, it is scary! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/46/ju...arles-l-jones/

Thanks
They did that because that is how they were all trained. I can see that in the beginning you might not know any different. After some time though, and if you're a handler that's worth beans, then you should know the difference. The guys who trained this way had been doing it for years. Because of this, they have ruined the program. The NEW program in place is good for interdiction, but there is no more tracking and apprehension as they are using labs and retrievers.

The new training techniques used are all positive reinforcement only. The program has been revamped and gone through great strides. It's BILLIONS times better then it used to be.

Having said all that, the trooper will get his job back not because of what he did, but because of how it was handled by the State. If they had gone about it the proper way, there would have been no recourse for him.
jlthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyle View Post
The video makes me want to physically assault the Trooper. I wish SHP hadn't been so quick to fire this guy. What a complete conspiracy. I wish the DA's office would charge him with animal cruelty. Regardless, I hope that he's blacklisted by his squad and co-workers.
They weren't. The legal issues started when the Governor's office got involved and made them violate proper procedure and fire him immediately without due process. While I hate what it's done to the agency and to the K9 program, and I don't agree with any of those training techniques at all. ITS NOT ABOUT THAT.... It's about the process that wasn't followed when disciplining him.
jlthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.