German Shepherds Forum banner

Why is police dog training trying to be kept secretive?

26K views 143 replies 48 participants last post by  pache11 
#1 ·
I was always wondering ...

Unless you are K9 police officer or possibly press, you are not allowed to observe a police dog training sessions. I already tried. At least that's how it is here in the state of NY. Why is this? Are the cops scared that criminals are going to pick up on their "secret" training strategies or random john doe's are going to produce cop dogs which go out and bite the public. Does police dog training really have to be kept a secret? How come retired K9 cops are allowed to pursue a career in dog training and share their "secrets" with the public.

What am I overlooking here. Your thoughts are appreciated.

#139 ·
An aside to my earlier post:

I have found it is very important to not alienate civilians when it comes to LE in general, and especially with regard to K9. Civilians, and sport dog people in particular (at least in my area of the country) are some of the biggest advocates and supporters of LE dogs.

#140 ·
An aside to my earlier post:

I have found it is very important to not alienate civilians when it comes to LE in general, and especially with regard to K9. Civilians, and sport dog people in particular (at least in my area of the country) are some of the biggest advocates and supporters of LE dogs.
I would never alienate civilians, in fact I typically put on at least two K9 demonstrations each month; mostly for schools and scouts but have also done them at community meetings.

I just think having people watching/video-taping k9 training is about as smart as having them watch/videotape us practice our handcuffing techniques. It's much easier to defeat when you watch it a few times.

#142 ·
Missed this thread until now. Wow; how easily people assume the worst and spread it.

I know very little about how K9’s are trained, but my family has been friends with two K9 Officers in our town for many years. The first, now retired got his first dog, a GSD from the pound and he served for many years and retired to the officers home. This dog and handler came to our home several times when our oldest son as a teen was getting on the fringe of gang related activity, and with patience and toughness talk with him about the reality of that life.

His second dog also a GSD also served for many years, and his last dog before retiring was a Giant Schnauzer who rode in the side car of his motorcycle. The other K9 Officer also had a GSD who served many years and retired to live with his family. He said he trusted the do so much that if he had opposable thumbs he would let hi drive! This officer and his family grieved terribly when his test K9 died suddenly of bloat. He was instrumental a few months ago in getting a GSD out of our high kill shelter after it was surrendered by the owner for barking too much.

Every year in Sacramento Sheriffs dept sponsor area there is a race/walk to help pay for medical needs of K9’s. This was started by an officer to pay for treatment when his dog developed cancer. I have seen this dog after treatment happily playing with the officers young children.

Welcome to the Annual Kaleo’s 5K Run

The bond between these officers and their partners are something all of us dog lovers should strive for. It is clear that this bond could only be was created through fair training. I doubt many high drive dogs could be trained without the humane use of aversives . My own dog does not have the drives or nerve to be a K9 but when amped up he is oblivious to a steak waved under his nose. From my admittedly limited experience I think most K9 have a great life ( a job they love to do and a human partner they love to do it with)

Of course there are some K9 Officers who abuse dogs, but they are in the vast minority, and I am sure no one is more enraged by them then the many K9 Officers who love their dogs and work. PETA has nothing on the what these officers must feel.

I say this because I work for the Catholic Church and regular spend time, socially and at work with many priests who are true servants giving 24/7 to their people. No one is more hurt or angry with those who have abused people than they are. Some of these priests tell me that they are tempted to not wear their collars when travelling to avoid being called names, but they wear them anyway, just in case a person feels in need of a priest.

I wish people would not be so quick to buy into the media which loves play up the bad side of humanity because it sells, rather than seek the truth.

#144 ·
Police dogs are not trained in foreign languages so the perp can't give a command to the dog. I haven't met a working K9, police or sport that will listen to a command from a stranger unless trained or conditioned to do so. Police dogs that use foreign language commands are usually bred and raised in the country that speaks that language. It is very difficult to find domestic working shepherds in the U.S. that have the capability to do police and hard defense work, most don't have the protection drive or have other issues that disqualify them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.