Why is police dog training trying to be kept secretive? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Oh Wolfiesmom, THANK YOU For the laugh!!!

That would be like saying that I train with treats and balls for show, because it is well known that Schutzhund people are brutal to their dogs.

Anyways, the RCMP have some of the best-trained police dogs in the world, but I'm sure it might just be one or two dog that they bring out for the public, and keep the rest hidden, LOL!

I have no doubt that there are some LA people out there who are idiots and don't know the first thing about dogs and resort to what others here are talking about.
Hahaha! I'm glad I was able to make you laugh! Perhaps I worded this wrong. Here in the states at least in my area they do bring the dogs to clubs etc to do demonstrations. Only a few do them. The rest of the guys who like to train on their own time in public would never choke their dog in front of the public. It is too upsetting.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 01:56 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Our k9 units are funded by donations. If they see cops choking or kicking dogs, what will happen to their donations?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know a k9 officer. He continuously says his dog is NOT a pet and is not treated as such. The dog NEVER comes in the house. He stays outside in a kennel when not at work and he never gets treats or plays games. The officer says that when the dog catches a criminal his reward is he can bite the person and then he gets a hot dog (I don't think he was getting when he told me this either).
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
liv

From what my brothers have said, the K-9 officers in their dept do choke out their dogs on a regular basis, as well as other archaic forms of discipline, it makes me sick when the talk about the dogs. Plus it turns out really crappy dogs who are indiscriminately aggressive but can't do anything else - apparently the only thing they're good for is if they have a line of sight on the suspect and he's running and the police all freeze. However, I do enjoy watching the RCMP dogs work - any I have seen have done a great job and both them and the handler look like they're having a good time doing it. The difference between the two is night and day!

Kokoda - GSD - 31.03.09
Onyx - GSD - 05.09.09

The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there --Anonymous
liv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Wolfiesmom, these RCMP officer aren't coming to our club for public demonstrations. They come on their own time to improve their own handling and training skills. They come on weekday nights and stand in the rain and get soaked with the rest of us while they wait their turn on the field with the helper while the helper works our club dogs. There is no "public" there, only us club members.

Acutally, the helpers/trainers at OUR club are the ones who got to police training events to put on dog-handling seminars. Our main helper is away doing a quarry course for the RCMP. (teaching people how to run and hide and act like a bad guy for the dogs to find and bring down).

It just so happens that from my office window, I overlook some grassy fields that we, our club, use for tracking a lot - and I can see the weekly training sessions the RCMP have with their dogs out there - tracking, learning to handle a young dog, having some poor sap dress up in a bite suit and told to start running. Very entertaining, yes! But this is real training, not a demonstration.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #26 (permalink)

One thing to remember is that Police dogs are in fact not pets. They have a job and departments pay big money for them. Once everything is said and done (Purchase, train and send dog/handler to training courses) it can cost well around $20,000 so this being said it is a very big investment for departments.

As for the departments where I live th K9's stay with ONE handler their whole career and usually once the are retired the handlers purchase the dog for $1 and they live the rest of their lives with the handlers.

Most of the retired k9's are very good dogs once retired. Great with kids, quiet and calm.

Sasha - GSD / 6-2010
bmasplund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
Elite Member

My/Titon's trainer IS the trainer for Fort Carson Army Base, Peterson Air Force Base, El Paso County and CSPD K9 units. We can watch if we wanted to but I choose to leave them to their training out of respect for what they do. There is no secret to what a police K9 dog can do that our dogs can't do with training.

But I will say this though, what they do to train the drug dogs can make you cringe. You thought ball drive was crazy. Try drugs...

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
TitonsDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 02:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

My DH asked a cop the next town over about tempermrent testing for ShcH. And he said to tie my dog down to a table and poke her with a stick till she comes after me. And if she didn't she wasent any good and to git rid of her and find another dog he said he had a booklet with all kinds of tests or training. We could barrow anytime. I'm tempted to then burn it so it can never be used again :angryfire :
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
ChristenHolden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 05:17 AM   #29 (permalink)

LEO training is like that. I know that most tactical teams don't like the idea of their training becoming public (close quarters combat/MOUT), but there's really nothing unique or new about it. I guess I can understand why they'd be concerned that bad guys would know their SOP, but really the most important aspect of a breach is surprise and violence of action. I'd guess that K9 training is really no different. They just don't want the public familiar with their SOP.
PDXDeutschhund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #30 (permalink)

I used to be a Police Sergeant and I still work in this field, but not as a Police Officer. We never, ever, disclose our security vulnerabilities (crime if we do).

When asked to observe training, generally it's not going to be allowed because they don't know the spectator or have the priority or need to learn about the spectator (background investigation). Liability is another reason they won't allow spectators. If you are not there you can't get hurt by whatever happens.

If your neighbor is a K-9 Officer or you have some kind of relationship they will likely tell you a lot about the training.
Hit Factor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.