German Shepherds Forum banner

What kind of breed do you think this stray is?

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Kazel 
#1 ·
I see this stray all the time on my run....never once made a sound but she loves to play with my pup. She's a pretty girl... she's never let me get more than a few feet from her though.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I thought this was some sort of joke post at first. All I could see was a 'wolf' for a second then I kept scrolling.

It looks like some sort of husky type, could be a hybrid but they aren't as common as people think. I'd call animal control so she can get some help, looks kind of rough.

#7 ·
. I'd call animal control so she can get some help, looks kind of rough.
I have called A.C. they can't catch her. (There's a lot of acreage nearby) I'm not sure what she's eating beside road kill or small rodents. I let her saw hello to Rex now and then we head back off on our runs. I'm not sure why but she loves my pup.

Attachments

#9 ·
I don't let my dogs get up close and personal to strays for a number of reasons. 1 is mange and fleas. Another is communicable diseases my dog may contract, yes your dog probably is vaccinated. But they don't make vaccinations against everything. Another is the possibility of an altercation. A good percentage of bites happen when people are disengaging dogs from one another. If this happens with a stray, if you are bitten or scratched, you may have to undergo rabies vaccinations. Is it worth it.

If you can have animal control pick up the dog and let them determine if it is altered, and vet and vaccinate it, determine that it is not owned by anyone, then maybe you can offer to adopt the dog if you are looking to keep it, since it gets along with yours.

#11 ·
If you can have animal control pick up the dog and let them determine if it is altered, and vet and vaccinate it, determine that it is not owned by anyone, then maybe you can offer to adopt the dog if you are looking to keep it, since it gets along with yours.
Im not looking to keep it. Rex is a pup I found on the side of the road (vets best guess is he was 10months old at the time) He has a very high prey drive and keeps me going all the time. The good news is he is the perfect running partner as he never gets tired of going....going going. Since I just adopted Josie and she appears to have a high prey drive as well so I will have my hands too full to take on another stray. This was just a really beautiful pup. I just wish she had an owner who did take care of her. A bath and combing would do her wonders.

Thanks for the thought though. I might consider paying to have her trapped/tranquilized vaccinated and released if that could be managed.

#15 ·
May also be worth looking up wolfdog rescues in the area. They may be able to help out and likely have experience catching these types of dogs if AC is failing to do so. She may need to be trapped.
I like the idea of the wolfdog rescue. Don't know what the laws are in your state, regarding wolf hybrids. I would hate AC to trap her, just to put her down.

#13 ·
Can't you have her follow you home by throwing treats? And enclose her? On the other hand I would be worried about Rabies. It is a strange story, especially the fact that AC cannot catch her. Her shyness and looks could point to a (coyote?)hybrid. She is gorgeous.

#16 ·
I came within 5 feet of her yesterday. That is the closest I have ever been. As soon as I get too close or even sit down she takes off. My pup has a 25 foot retractable leash and she doesn't want me much closer than 15 feet. Any cars come near and she bolts. I was talking to one of the homeowners in the area and they said they've never seen anyone get as close (15 - 20 feet) as I have before. Honestly, it is Rex that has her attention. When I used to run without him I never saw her.

I did call AC about 5 months ago because I was worried the first time she followed us on our run. They informed me they have tried to catch her or even spot her but that they have been unsuccessful and since nobody in the area has missing pets and she hasn't attacked anyone she has become a low priority to them. They did say if I was uncomfortable or "approached" again they would try and catch her. I haven't called back since. I don't really want AC to catch her now because like someone else pointed out....they would most likely put her down.

I'll look into those wolfdog rescue places and see if one of them would be able to help her. I bet she would be happier to be with a pack...she seem pretty lonely.

I live outside of OKC in a rural area and the local animal shelter out here gets overwhelmed.....too many city people come out to our area to dump their dogs.....as if a dog living in an apartment for 6-10 months of its young life can all of a sudden learn how to hunt and survive without people. It is one of the saddest things I have ever seen when I found Rex a young pup starving and laying on the side of the road hardly moving. I though he had been hit by a car, but someone dumped him and he was slowly starving to death. Unfortunately, he mistrusts people and will still flinch anytime anyone besides me goes to pet him, so I am guessing he was also badly abused as a small puppy as well. Even living with me for 3 years I haven't been able to socialize him like all of my other dogs have been.

#17 ·
Did you show the pic to AC?
I see a wolf. It may explain why she so aloof, but plays with your dog.
She may have been cast away from her pack for being the weaker link and has been roaming solo.

How big do you estimate she is? Have you googled female wolf ave. weight?

Reactions: jasonmj58
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.