German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy's First time at the Beach!

711 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  atomic 
#1 ·
Took my nearly 12 week old pup to the beach this evening. He loves water so we thought we'd take him down for a quick visit to see what he thought. Was a bit unsure, big white wet as opposed to little wet that he's used to so we just stayed in an area where it would only go over his paws, lots of reassurance, I think he enjoyed it. I reckon he'll be a bounding leaping water baby in no time!

See less See more
#2 ·
Gorgeous pictures and I'm jealous raining here everyday this week since last Sunday and suppose to rain all weekend! This is what I did when max was a pup. I walked in the water and he knew it was safe following along and he became very comfortable and realized how much fun the water was. Brings back memories- enjoy!!!!

#5 ·
Oh my goodness how precious! I've found that dogs that are not used to the beach get great confidence watching an older pro tackle the waves. Although when they are at this size, and are less than adequate swimmers, its a bit much anyway and I don't blame them! Still great to get them out no matter what. I'll be taking my little one to the sand bar this Sunday for a little salty splashing, no waves and gradual depth increases so he can go at his own pace :).

#9 ·
It definitely should! My older APBT is an absolute glutton for the water (particularly the beach) that she very well rivals any retriever. I've watched her with my own eyes instill confidence in not just pups but older, more timid dogs that were never introduced to the beach into making that first plunge. The key is not to force them, but maybe give them a little push when necessary. When I first took my APBT at 3 months she had no idea what it was all about, but I made her swim very short distances between me and another person with adequate rest to get her used to it. Now she is the one I can't keep out of it :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.