German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/)
-   -   New pup! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/483113-new-pup.html)

joshj408 08-26-2014 11:58 AM

New pup!

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/...psa2a3eda0.jpg

He's 5 weeks old now, i'll be picking him up on saturday!

VALIUM 08-26-2014 12:01 PM

Congrats on your new pup, he looks so cute, so jealous of you:))

joshj408 08-26-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIUM (Post 5946361)
Congrats on your new pup, he looks so cute, so jealous of you:))

lol thanks!!

blueangele 08-26-2014 01:39 PM

he will only be 6 weeks when you get him? What is the reason for getting him so soon? There is a lot of advantages leaving pups with the litter until at least 8 weeks!

joshj408 08-26-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueangele (Post 5946801)
he will only be 6 weeks when you get him? What is the reason for getting him so soon? There is a lot of advantages leaving pups with the litter until at least 8 weeks!

From my understanding, from what i've read, and been told by the breeder and a few other reliable sources that it is okay to take them at 6 weeks but no earlier. One big thing is that this litter has advanced fast ( or to me it seems) as far as weaning off of the mother and they have been eating puppy food and not going to the mom for quite some time now...plus they live right next door to me and will be seeing the mother quite often....am I completely wrong in this thought process?

Lucy Dog 08-26-2014 01:54 PM

It's not ok to take a puppy home at 6 weeks no matter what the breeder tells you. In a lot of states, it's illegal.

Pax8 08-26-2014 01:56 PM

33 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshj408 (Post 5946865)
From my understanding, from what i've read, and been told by the breeder and a few other reliable sources that it is okay to take them at 6 weeks but no earlier. One big thing is that this litter has advanced fast ( or to me it seems) as far as weaning off of the mother and they have been eating puppy food and not going to the mom for quite some time now...plus they live right next door to me and will be seeing the mother quite often....am I completely wrong in this thought process?

I would ask the breeder if they would consider keeping the pups another two weeks. From a physical standpoint, they don't need mother's milk anymore, but there are MANY behavioral growths they go through from six to eight weeks that are denied to them if they are separated too early. Taking them away at six weeks as opposed to eight weeks means they don't get a very important aspect of litter socialization in those last two weeks and as a trainer, I have seen problems develop down the road because of it. If you do pick him up at six weeks, I would say be VERY proactive about his socialization and establishing personal and environmental boundaries.

I saw in a previous post of yours that you have a well-adjusted, older dog. That will be helpful and will put you in a better situation than most. One thing I would warn about is be careful of taking that older dog to high traffic dog areas for a while. Parvo is shed through feces. If the older dog picks up tainted feces and tracks them in the house, it poses a serious risk to the pup.

LoveEcho 08-26-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshj408 (Post 5946865)

I don't know any reputable source that advocates bringing a puppy home at 6 weeks. It's a pretty critical socialization period.

joshj408 08-26-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax8 (Post 5946913)
I would ask the breeder if they would consider keeping the pups another two weeks. From a physical standpoint, they don't need mother's milk anymore, but there are MANY behavioral growths they go through from six to eight weeks that are denied to them if they are separated too early. Taking them away at six weeks as opposed to eight weeks means they don't get a very important aspect of litter socialization in those last two weeks and as a trainer, I have seen problems develop down the road because of it. If you do pick him up at six weeks, I would say be VERY proactive about his socialization and establishing personal and environmental boundaries.

I saw in a previous post of yours that you have a well-adjusted, older dog. That will be helpful and will put you in a better situation than most. One thing I would warn about is be careful of taking that older dog to high traffic dog areas for a while. Parvo is shed through feces. If the older dog picks up tainted feces and tracks them in the house, it poses a serious risk to the pup.

thanks for the headsup on the Parvo...i had no idea about that. I'll see about possibly leaving the pup for another week or so. the only issue we are running into is that we live on a military base in base housing and you are only allowed to have 2 dogs...and the housing community has already been called on them for having 5 dogs due to the pups by some nosey worthless neighbor we have. if we do go with 6 weeks i will make sure to be proactive with the socialization. i took 2 weeks off work so i'll have plenty of time to work with him

joshj408 08-26-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveEcho (Post 5946929)
I don't know any reputable source that advocates bringing a puppy home at 6 weeks. It's a pretty critical socialization period.

ah okay....i've never had a new dog being younger than a few months old so this is all new to me. still learning!