GSD and kids - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014, 03:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSD and kids

Walter, 3 years old in 2 months, demonstrating patience with a baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYyzYX-E4Qk
4score is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 03:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

That is awesome. Hope I can train mine to be just the same.
Unforgiving is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

My granddaughter has grown up with Tess, they are both three, and constant companions. I would still NEVER let her get into Tessa's face when she is eating or has a bone. Our first rule with her as she began to walk was stay away from the food bowls.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
My granddaughter has grown up with Tess, they are both three, and constant companions. I would still NEVER let her get into Tessa's face when she is eating or has a bone. Our first rule with her as she began to walk was stay away from the food bowls.
I agree, but at the same time things can happen in a split second and it is nice to know that the dog can and will tolerate it. I don't think I could have a dog that wouldn't tolerate it in my house.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm sure other breeds have the same tolerance for curtain crawlers as Germans, but I pay more attention to GSDs. I have noticed that with their human babies GSDs just go limp and/or goofy mode. Banjo was a prime example. I could play with him and he'd come close to breaking my arms when we got really crazy, with kids he put his ears back, squinted his eyes and had his tongue lolling out half a mile. I do not think he was wired to be capable of biting or snapping at a kid. They know something, what I can't decide, but they know kids are the third rail of dog/human relationships and no screwups are permitted.

Not saying I'd have left the room with Banjo playing with a 3 y/o and not thought about it, but I would have been very very surprised if he had done anything other than a rough licking session. Could be they read the innocent body language of kids, they read us adults like a book so....who knows. Lack of sexually mature hormone scents could factor in as well, even less of a threat that way.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brembo View Post
I'm sure other breeds have the same tolerance for curtain crawlers as Germans, but I pay more attention to GSDs. I have noticed that with their human babies GSDs just go limp and/or goofy mode. Banjo was a prime example. I could play with him and he'd come close to breaking my arms when we got really crazy, with kids he put his ears back, squinted his eyes and had his tongue lolling out half a mile. I do not think he was wired to be capable of biting or snapping at a kid. They know something, what I can't decide, but they know kids are the third rail of dog/human relationships and no screwups are permitted.

Not saying I'd have left the room with Banjo playing with a 3 y/o and not thought about it, but I would have been very very surprised if he had done anything other than a rough licking session. Could be they read the innocent body language of kids, they read us adults like a book so....who knows. Lack of sexually mature hormone scents could factor in as well, even less of a threat that way.
I agree that they have the ability to sense things. I have seen mine in action with kids in my home, out of my home and kids with disabilities and their behavior is always amazing. I have seen Midnite surrounded by three kids with mental disabilities and he was nothing short of amazing. All my dogs in general are very gentle and loving with kids of all ages. Even my youngest golden that us as high energy as they come changed his demeanor when we had a baby that just started walking visit. All if the sudden he was watching where he was going and paying attention. I did think the mother of the baby was going to have a heart attack when they walked outside and Midnite came trotting over and headed straight for the baby, she was able to breath when she seen that Midnite went right for the baby to kiss him the dogs waited patiently for the baby to throw the ball and brought it back to him while he just laughed away. Anything other then that behavior is unacceptable and not tolerated and they know it. Every dog I have ever owned has been this way. There is really no training for it, so I'm not sure how they all end up like that, they just do.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 08-16-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
Believe me, this wasn't a test session. We know how gentle Walter is with the kids. I guess it's a way to show some people that GSDs are awesome dogs including their tolerance with children.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4score View Post
Believe me, this wasn't a test session. We know how gentle Walter is with the kids. I guess it's a way to show some people that GSDs are awesome dogs including their tolerance with children.
Some people will never accept that.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 08-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

My thought process is that Cay will be around different dogs her whole life. She's too young to know that Tessa is safe around food but other dogs may not be....so its a rule with us...
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks so much for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.