German Shepherds Forum banner

Possible New Puppy!

5K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  Frankie Palmer 
#1 ·
Ok, here's the puppy pictures! :) The pups are almost 6 weeks old (but these are earlier pictures), and one of them might be mine! The breeder is still assessing them but so far he thinks that the sable male with the still floppy ears might be the right one for me. Says he's very handler orientated and quite cuddly, a very good all rounder type of dog. Slightly lower drives than the other boys but still plenty of energy and still bites on the toys, shaking his head.

What do you guys think? Can you tell much from photos anyway, besides how they look? :p

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
He's not quite as dark as Apsel was when I brought him home at 8 weeks, but that boy will darken up too between now and then. I think the best thing you see from the pics is how focused he is on the camera, he looks inquisitive and attentive.

#4 ·
I don't really mind how dark or light he's going to be. I like both the light and dark sables, so either way it's all good. :)

In regards to ears, I wouldn't be worried about it yet. My last boy's ears didn't stick up until he was 12 weeks old. I am amazed that this litter of pups have gone up so early.

#5 ·
Oh I wasn't saying dark or light is better, but just noting he appears to be to have chosen the Dark Side;)

Apsel's ears were up at 8, and back down for a month when he started teething. You're right to not worry about floppy ears at this point.

#17 ·
So far it looks like that he may be mine. I reckon in another week we will know. :wub: Oh and that's an adorable picture of Sinister.

I was actually pretty neutral until the breeder announced that one of the pups may suit me very nicely. Now I am getting excited! Got to throw myself into painting to make time go faster! :D

EDIT: My last dog's ears went up at 12 weeks and they stayed up for good. Interesting how some go up and down.

#14 ·
Ace, it's very normal for puppies ears to go up and down during teething (4-6 months old), or to not go up until after teething so it's a little too soon to worry. Could you post a picture? If they're not up after he's through teething you can tape them but it may not be necessary.

#15 ·
Yes im aware of that . I was just trying to say there always that real small posibility. Im still hoping mine will go up cause it switches side of which ear up and down hahaha. And i heard if you have seen it up then it will go back up. Sorry OP didn't mean to jack the thread just the conversation lead to another

#16 ·
Ears up at 8 weeks doesn't guarantee permanent ears up once full grown. Its look of the draw, injuries, and genetics. Thicker ears are more at risk for floppiness, beyond that there's not much other clues other than looking at the dam and sire.

#20 ·
Fantastic! Looks like a very nice, solid litter. No over-the top hectic behaviour, no sound sensitivity, and very "into" whatever was going on, whether the mop, the whip, or the person moving around.

Had to chuckle at the disclaimer, LOL. It is sad that even this little bit of testing could easily traumatize 'regular' pups with less than stellar nerves.

#30 ·
Sorry for the wait guys! Yeah, it was a long and exciting day for sure! :) First we had to drive approximately five hours to reach the airport, so had to get up at sparra to get there in time to pick up the pup just after midday. I named him Drogo. It's odd because I always thought I was going to name him Yoshi but he didn't look like a Yoshi to me. The moment I saw him I instantly thought "he's a Drogo"!

It was actually funny because the reception people didn't believe he was a German Shepherd! They said he was the wrong colour. I told them his colour was a sable and that he was a working line German Shepherd and they shook their heads, asking me "you sure he ain't a cross"? :rolleyes: Oh yeah, I'm sure. He looks like a German Shepherd to me.

But that wasn't the end of the excitement! It looked as though Drogo either vomited or pooed on himself on the plane so hmm . . . We had to give him a bath and that was a bit of a problem as we were staying at a friend's place over night and they didn't have a big enough sink for him, so I had to have a shower with him. :eek: Crickey, I have never showered with another animal before, except for frogs. Next day (or today, really) we had some horse business so we were in Perth right up to past midday, and then finally we were able to drive home. Got home at around 6 pm. Phew, absolutely exhausting.

Drogo was pretty good. Traveled well. He just either curled up and went to sleep or busied himself chewing on his toys. He's a very vocal boy, does a lot of moaning, and he's very mouthy! But wow, he is just beautiful. :wub: Has a lovely expression. He's a lot bigger than I thought he would be! I swear he was bigger than my White Swiss Shepherd at that age, funny because I thought German Shepherds were smaller than White Swiss Shepherds. Ack, he's probably going to be huge when he grows up! :crazy:

Anyway, sorry I don't have any photos at the moment. I will try and get some tomorrow!

#32 ·
As promised, here are some photos! :D Oh, and if any of you guys are wondering who's the white bloke in one of the photos - well, that's Homer, the poddy lamb.

But yeah, it was difficult getting photos because Drogo was sticking like glue to me! :eek:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.