German Shepherds Forum banner

Finally, I have pics of all 4 dogs (2 GSDs + 2 Huskies) bikejoring together!

6K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  counter 
#1 ·
From left to right: Paw Paw, Beowulf, Kaze and Nara.

And from a different day, Beowulf pulling my oldest daughter (8 years old) on a bike with my 3-year old son in the canopy trailer attachment:

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Good question, and thanks for asking!

When they play, roughhouse and wrestle, Paw Paw (black and white Sibe) is the alpha male and he will ensure that he "wins" every time. HOWEVER, if things get heated and turn from play to the next level, Nara (female GSD) will destroy everyone! Hahaha. She's a bitch. Pun intended. By far the alpha female is THE Alpha over the alpha male. All 3 boys are in tact, and Nara is spayed. I keep these guys happy and exercised enough that they've never really gotten into a dog fight with each other. Nara just keeps everyone in check if they're getting on her nerves. They know she's the real boss out of the 4. I've literally seen Paw Paw run for his life when Nara got mad at him. She chased him all over the yard, but of course he's much faster than she is, and he has husky endurance to run forever. It was funny to watch though.

And yes, Beowulf is very special. He's the omega of the bunch. Very skittish. He loves to wrestle all day with the new pup, Kaze. The two of them are the biggest out of the 4, and it's fun watching them "battle beast" as I call it.

#10 ·
Bikejoring looks like so much fun and your pack really seems to be enjoying it as well. Thanks for sharing.

#15 ·
Bikejoring looks like so much fun and your pack really seems to be enjoying it as well. Thanks for sharing.
Bikejoring is a lot of fun. The dogs love it. I love it. And it saves a lot of time versus going for walks that cover the same distance, or getting dragged down the street by a Siberian I could never keep up with on a run. Been there, done that. I came into bikejoring based on a desire to get the dogs as much exercise as possible in the shortest amount of time. Our walks were taking 2-3 hours. We can cover double the distance in 45 minutes to 1 hour bikejoring. We average 6 miles a day on a work day, and up to 11 miles on my days off when I can dedicate more time. I'm about to take it up a notch and purchase the Diggler Zephyr dog scooter:

...which will give us more of that real sledding/sled dog experience that will look a little something like this:

#18 ·
Love the one with the kids. They must love it too!'

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
They do love it. I sometimes connect that canopy trailer to my mountain bike so the kiddos can get an up close view of what the dogs look like pulling us from ground level. I'm sure it's a blast. I usually bikejor by myself to save time, as it's more of a hassle to attach everyone and everything plus the 4 dogs and their gear. But everytime I go alone, I always end up coming home with all sorts of adventure stories to tell the family about: new critters we spotted, new birds, !PACK OF COYOTES!, etc. I kept telling them how much I wanted them to be out there with me, so now that they're slowly getting old enough to join, I do what I can when I can to bring one of more of my kids with me. I can't wait for them to be able to manage the dogs alone and take them out each day or whenever they feel like it. OR...go out in multiple teams by splitting the dogs with 3 and 1 or 2 and 2. So many options, so much fun!

#23 ·
I like your dogs.

I've a husky too. I always call him my pretty lil perfect mess.

Is your husky polar opposites from your GSD too?
Paw Paw is definitely different, that's for sure! But all of these dogs seem to compliment each other's attitudes, and they get along well and do a ton of husky roughhousing. Kaze, the pup, is now the main instigator, and he goes after Beowulf (the next youngest) all day. If Kaze goes for Paw Paw, he learns quickly who the boss is! Ha.

As for Zeeva's name origins, have you ever come across this book:

Wind-Wild Dog: Barbara Joosse, Kate Kiesler: 9780805070538: Amazon.com Kids' Books

What will Ziva choose, her love for the Man or the freedom of the wild?

Ziva heard the call of the wild. Most mushers believed that Ziva's eyes of different colors made her half wild, so no one wanted her. But one man took a liking to her.

As Ziva begins to trust the Man, she learns to use her wild energy to pull his sled, but she's torn between her love for the Man and the wolf's call. Will she stay . . . or go?

This story has been growing in Barbara Joosse's head since a friend told her about his dog, Ziva, who was "wild as a wolf and white as the snow." Kate Kiesler's striking full-color art perfectly captures Ziva's struggle in this powerful book.
We have it for our children to read, and for me to read to them, and it's one of their favorite books. The art and story are very nice, and very real. Not cartoony like a lot of kids dog books. My heart melts every time I read the book. If I ever get a female Sibe with bi-eyes, I think I'd name her Ziva after the girl in this book. That's how much of an impact this book has had on me, and the fond memories of each time I read it to my kiddos and our bond with each other and our dogs grow stronger!

#30 · (Edited)
My wife has been slowly trickling these photos down to me. She took a couple hundred, and I helped narrow them down to what I felt were the best ones. As she cleans them up a bit, she sends them my way for posting. Here are the ones I received tonight:

Happy post-run Wulfer face!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.