German Shepherds Forum banner

Finally, I have pics of all 4 dogs (2 GSDs + 2 Huskies) bikejoring together!

6K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  counter 
#1 ·
From left to right: Paw Paw, Beowulf, Kaze and Nara.

And from a different day, Beowulf pulling my oldest daughter (8 years old) on a bike with my 3-year old son in the canopy trailer attachment:

See less See more
#36 ·
Great pictures! It's heart warming to see your pups and your family so happy to be out together! This is what I picture in my head when folks talk about a happy 'pack'. Congrats!!!!

#42 ·
Do you sled with them, too? I skijor with my Belgian, and really enjoy it. I did have a harder time finding a harness that fit her well, she has a long back and a wide chest. I ended up getting a deal on an adjustable harness from a place in Norway (non-stop), just in case anyone has difficulty with fit, and is looking to run their GSD. Shepherds have a different shape than your typical sled dog, and the normal x-back usually don't fit them correctly for long-term use, and could lead to back problems in future, if the dog is doing a lot of all-out galloping. The x-back puts pressure on the back when the dog is "coiling" during the gallop.

What a great team you have!

#45 ·
Do you sled with them, too? I skijor with my Belgian, and really enjoy it. I did have a harder time finding a harness that fit her well, she has a long back and a wide chest. I ended up getting a deal on an adjustable harness from a place in Norway (non-stop), just in case anyone has difficulty with fit, and is looking to run their GSD. Shepherds have a different shape than your typical sled dog, and the normal x-back usually don't fit them correctly for long-term use, and could lead to back problems in future, if the dog is doing a lot of all-out galloping. The x-back puts pressure on the back when the dog is "coiling" during the gallop.

What a great team you have!
Thank you. I haven't had the opportunity to sled with them yet. I was living in Oregon, and there isn't a lot of snow there, unless you get up around Mt. Hood, which my job did not afford the time. Now we are in Idaho, which also doesn't get a lot of snow, but the snow we got this past winter was more than the entire 4 years in Oregon. Plus, in Idaho, it gets so cold that the snowfall in one day will not melt for 2-3 weeks. So if I can get the sled and proper gear, I would love to try it. That's the goal!

As for the harness, we are going with the custom made Alpine Outfitters X-back. They tell you how to take the measurements, and then based on your dog's exact specifications, they build a harness that fits perfectly. So if you have a short and stubby Siberian or a long back and wide chested Shepherd, the harness should not cause any problems, as long as your measurements are accurate. Here's the link on how to measure:

Alpine Outfitters - Your One-Stop Shop for Quality Working Dog Gear - Tel: (360) 659-3800

I ordered the green harness (pictured above in this thread) for Beowulf to test the sizing and quality. Now I'm in the process of ordering one for the other 3 dogs. I've already taken their measurements. I just wanted to get 1 to ensure I measured correctly before ordering 3 more.

Thanks for the info you provided about the differences between sled dogs and our GSDs. And thank you for your compliment!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.