Flyball tournament with Halo - video! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Default Flyball tournament with Halo - video!

Halo and I were at a flyball tournament last weekend with our team Marin Running Riot. We were racing 4 teams of dogs - Halo was on one, I was boxloading for another and box helper for the other two teams. Our flyball box is very heavy, so we always assign a helper to carry it in and out of the ring so the boxloader doesn't have to do it by themselves.

I was boxloading in race #1 on Saturday morning, and felt my back go bending down to load a ball during the warmup, before the race even started. I stuck out the race, but that was it, no more boxloading for me, I was done for the day! I was determined to race Halo if I could, so I gave it a try in race #3. It went okay, and I ended up racing her all day, a total of 25 heats.

Sunday morning I woke up very stiff and knew there was no way I'd be able to race her again. I sent a text to my teammate Mollie before I left for the tournament and she said she'd race Halo for me. We've never tried that before, not even at practice, and a tournament is not the best time to find out if your dog will run for someone else but we didn't really have a choice. As it turned out, Halo had no problem racing for Mollie, even with me right there. And the fun thing about a not great situation was that I got to watch my dog race, and also shoot some video. So here goes:

Mollie racing Halo in two heats

This is a slo-mo video of the dogs on the box, two heats for Halo's team Stray Dogs

And just for fun, I made a compilation video with one heat of each of our 4 teams. Halo is running second in the first clip.

Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Crazy ...awesome....

I am huge fan of passion.....it is inspiring....and your pooch has PASSION !!!

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

WAY awesome! Fun to watch ... Like the song in that 3rd video. Beautiful animals. (ESPECIALLY yours)
CindyMDBecker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Crazy ...awesome....

I am huge fan of passion.....it is inspiring....and your pooch has PASSION !!!

SuperG
That she does, she's a very intense girl! From the beginning I wanted to do something fun with her, either agility or flyball, and as soon as we started taking flyball classes I knew that was the sport for her. I was fortunate to find a great team to train with, and we never did get around to taking any agility classes. Halo has been racing for two years now. She does pretty well considering she has a green handler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyMDBecker View Post
WAY awesome! Fun to watch ... Like the song in that 3rd video. Beautiful animals. (ESPECIALLY yours)
Thanks, Cindy! I shot 40 or 50 videos and was thinking I should put together a clip of each team, and then that song came on the radio on my way to work yesterday morning and I thought it would be the perfect accompaniment. It's Robert Earl Keen's song "I Gotta Go". Seemed appropriate.

All four of Marin Running Riot's teams placed first in their divisions on Saturday, and on Sunday we got 3 firsts and a second.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good job!!!

Yes those boxes are super heavy, I hope your back is ok! Holding a GSD back is no walk in the park either! lol

I wish my dog weren't reactive and have a bad hip, she LOVES flyball. I drove the boxes back to my team leader's house after the tournament we hosted, and when I put the boxes in my van my dog started to cry and bark
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sweet!!!!

I know it's far....does your team every come to CanAm?
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

``Thanks, Cindy! I shot 40 or 50 videos and was thinking I should put together a clip of each team, and then that song came on the radio on my way to work yesterday morning and I thought it would be the perfect accompaniment. It's Robert Earl Keen's song "I Gotta Go". Seemed appropriate. ''

Oh, thank you for saying who sings it. I really love it. I keep watching that video over and over. LOVE seeing those happy dogs. Those little terriers are stinkin' cute, too! I have a JRT mix & have a serious respect for those buggers. Thanks for posting those.
CindyMDBecker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Good job!!!

Yes those boxes are super heavy, I hope your back is ok! Holding a GSD back is no walk in the park either! lol
Yeah, I can't restrain her the way Mollie does even when my back is healthy! I put her on my right since she's a lane hog, go down on my right knee and brace my left foot against the ground, and hold her collar with my left hand and wrap my right arm under her belly. And then hang on for dear life, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Sweet!!!!

I know it's far....does your team every come to CanAm?
I don't think they ever have - definitely not since I've been with the club. I think they do sometimes go to the qualifying tournament, not for the purpose of qualifying for NAFA, just as a normal tournament. It's a few hours away, and fewer of our people tend to go to tournaments aren't within driving distance from home. At the local tournaments we pretty much always have enough people and dogs to run four teams, but at the out of town tournaments we may only run two or sometimes three teams. Getting enough people interested in driving halfway across the country would be much tougher than getting them to drive 3 or 4 hours each way. I know Mollie would LOVE to go.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's how I hold the little BC I run in the start position. He sometimes pushes backward, so I find it helps block him from going backward.

It's also a good way to lower your base with a strong dog, like yours! Much easier on the back!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Blackshep, are you still working with your girl? It can be tough with a reactive dog, we had one in our club's classes. He does well in disc sports because he's the only dog out there, but getting him to the point of racing in a tournament would be a big challenge.

His owner is super nice and would be a great teammate, so it's really a shame. I hear he's planning on getting another dog soon, so maybe Whiskey will just be a disc dog, and the new one can be trained for flyball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.