Anyone else enjoy running with their GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone else enjoy running with their GSD?

It's not too hot yet..so enjoying some miles with the dogs while I can! I also bought this new harness and leash for Watson and hope to order another harness so I can run with two dogs. It's awesome! I love this thing (and Watson seems to be a fan as well.)

I love trail running with the dogs when I can...a race director friend of mine is trying to start a canicross event in Charlotte. He's just tossing around ideas for now but we're hoping it's a reality!

Anyone else run with their German Shepherd?
GSDBriard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I pretty much only run when chased...

I wonder if they make a Camelbak for dogs....that's what I thought the harness was at first.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Cute pics! Beautiful dog!

I don't run if I can help it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

no running with my dog, I waddle about an hour or so a day. today was miserable, with pounding rain, hardly walked her at all. she isn't a fan of pouring rain.
lorihd@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've been running since high school cross country...but i'm pretty sure i kept doing it because of the dogs. When I adopted my first GSD I lived in an apartment and figured a good exercise routine would keep her from eating my living room.

It worked...for the most part. I lost a few college textbooks but who needs those...

Ruffwear make cool stuff for running or hiking, i have a hydration type thing like a camelbak for myself just made by another company. I also have a collapsible silicone cup thing that slides right into a pocket and i can fill that with water for the dogs.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

OP, what kind of harness did you say that is? I run, but have not been happy with the arrangement I have cuz Rudy weaves. That looks like it might solve some problems.
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yup, I run with my dogs daily on the trails- often around 100 miles/week. They love it. I love it. It forms a special bond, I feel like a complete "pack" out there in the woods, and the smells, sights, and forward movement make the dogs content and happy. I have three dogs, so I go without leashes whenever possible. It is legal in the State park nearby, and "voice control" legal in the city. We are lucky.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Julie, it's made by Ruffwear and I think it's called the Omnijore system, they also make a web harness that is pretty similar in design.

The system comes with a leash and body harness as well...i don't like the leash, it's way too long for city running but works well on trails. In the photos I have the ruffwear roamer leash attached to it instead since it's shorter.

As you can see I let mine run off leash on trails as well and they love it! Kafka, the Briard will run ahead maybe 7-8 ft. and then turn and wait, then run again...Watson will stay right with me. It's not legal here so I don't let them run off leash very often.

That photo happened to be taken while I was sweeping part of the course to a local 100 mile ultra event making sure it was in good shape and I was pretty sure it would be empty.

I aim for 60-70 miles a week since I have a race coming up but otherwise I stick to 40-50, the dogs do maybe 20 of those with me.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you! I'll check it out. Can't use a leash, I've lost the strength in my hands due to a neck injury, so that will be perfect.
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 View Post
Cute pics! Beautiful dog!

I don't run if I can help it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
One of my favorite sayings, if you see me running call 911. The only time I would run is if my life is in danger. And then I would probably only make it about 2 minutes and then die a horrible death, either murder or heart attack. I did enough running in the army, never was one to enjoy it. In my dreams I'm an awesome runner. In actuality I'm quite slow and heavy breathed.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.