German Shepherds Forum banner

Anyone else enjoy running with their GSD?

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  wyoung2153 
#1 ·
It's not too hot yet..so enjoying some miles with the dogs while I can! I also bought this new harness and leash for Watson and hope to order another harness so I can run with two dogs. It's awesome! I love this thing (and Watson seems to be a fan as well.)

I love trail running with the dogs when I can...a race director friend of mine is trying to start a canicross event in Charlotte. He's just tossing around ideas for now but we're hoping it's a reality!

Anyone else run with their German Shepherd?

See less See more
#10 ·
Cute pics! Beautiful dog!

I don't run if I can help it :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
One of my favorite sayings, if you see me running call 911. The only time I would run is if my life is in danger. And then I would probably only make it about 2 minutes and then die a horrible death, either murder or heart attack. I did enough running in the army, never was one to enjoy it. In my dreams I'm an awesome runner. In actuality I'm quite slow and heavy breathed.

#5 ·
I've been running since high school cross country...but i'm pretty sure i kept doing it because of the dogs. When I adopted my first GSD I lived in an apartment and figured a good exercise routine would keep her from eating my living room.

It worked...for the most part. I lost a few college textbooks but who needs those...

Ruffwear make cool stuff for running or hiking, i have a hydration type thing like a camelbak for myself just made by another company. I also have a collapsible silicone cup thing that slides right into a pocket and i can fill that with water for the dogs.

#7 ·
Yup, I run with my dogs daily on the trails- often around 100 miles/week. They love it. I love it. It forms a special bond, I feel like a complete "pack" out there in the woods, and the smells, sights, and forward movement make the dogs content and happy. I have three dogs, so I go without leashes whenever possible. It is legal in the State park nearby, and "voice control" legal in the city. We are lucky.

#8 ·
Julie, it's made by Ruffwear and I think it's called the Omnijore system, they also make a web harness that is pretty similar in design.

The system comes with a leash and body harness as well...i don't like the leash, it's way too long for city running but works well on trails. In the photos I have the ruffwear roamer leash attached to it instead since it's shorter.

As you can see I let mine run off leash on trails as well and they love it! Kafka, the Briard will run ahead maybe 7-8 ft. and then turn and wait, then run again...Watson will stay right with me. It's not legal here so I don't let them run off leash very often.

That photo happened to be taken while I was sweeping part of the course to a local 100 mile ultra event making sure it was in good shape and I was pretty sure it would be empty.

I aim for 60-70 miles a week since I have a race coming up but otherwise I stick to 40-50, the dogs do maybe 20 of those with me.

#11 ·
gotta say i'm with the majority. no running for me. i absolutely hate running. to me it's a super annoying torture on the body. i really can't understand how some people like it. the whole reason i didn't re-enlist in the army was i was so sick of lining up at 6:30 am to run an hour everyday while hung over.

#14 ·
I love running with Titan but haven't been able to lately. I don't trail run, but we do hike on occasion and he loves it.

I use a "Hunter" Cross body leash when we run. I could only find it in Germany so a couple friends of mine are going to visit family there and are going to try to find me a new one :) so excited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.