German Shepherds Forum banner

Fawn GSD (F)

7K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  2suthrn 
#1 ·
Just turned 9 months old.

Attachments

See less See more
#13 · (Edited)
Here are a few more recent pics... (The last one is her Mother, Iris... she is an ay fawn as well but holds a faint black saddle, Zooey has a faint reddish saddle).

Zooey is currently 65 pounds (@ 9 months) and just finished her first heat cycle. I suspect she will round off around 75-80 pounds... her mother was just around 80. Same for the father.

Attachments

#14 ·
This is her Father, Atlas Klondike. He is a SAR (Search & Rescue) dog. He is a standard black & tan GSD.

Zooey was the only fawn in the litter. All of the pups were black and tan.

She has been very easy to train. She holds a very high prey/ball drive. She will fetch the frisbee for hours if you let her.

The only issue I am having with her is pulling on the leash. For the first 6 months I very rarely used a leash with her (stores and walking into the dog park only usually). She would always stay by side and follow me around at the old house I lived in.

I live in a condo complex now and there are far too many cars and people to not use a leash. I have heard the Gentle Leader works well?

Attachments

#18 ·
The Gentle Leader.

The gentle leader is a great tool. My mom said when she disciplined us, "Where the ear goes, so goes the child". With this, "Where the nose goes, so does the dog". I used it on Sophie as a puppy and through her first 2 years. She understood quickly that 'wait" meant "wait for me", and she eventually stopped pulling. As we live in a large subdivision and our home in on the main street teacher her to stop at the curb and look both ways before crossing the street. It was a valuable tool as she had learned as a puppy to stop when her nose was "adjusted" by the Gentle Leader. I highly recommend it for a puppy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.