German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/)
-   -   Wow... Can this really happen? Prong collars (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/436865-wow-can-really-happen-prong-collars.html)

Madisonmj97 04-11-2014 07:37 PM

Wow... Can this really happen? Prong collars

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 199345

Jax08 04-11-2014 07:43 PM

Yes that can really happen. You can also crush a trachea with a regular flat collar or leave it on so that it becomes embedded like I suspect happened with this prong. These are tools and all can be abused unfortunately.

Madisonmj97 04-11-2014 07:45 PM

What is it suppose to do? I used it to keep from pulling, but on my big black male it didn't work... He was just way too aggressive. Are chain choke collars ok?

Serbrider 04-11-2014 07:46 PM

Only if it wasn't used correctly, or the dog had a condition that causes the skin to break REALLY easily.

My guess is that this dog was tied up outside in it. Poor thing.

Shade 04-11-2014 07:47 PM

I agree with Michelle, all tools can be dangerous. Unfortunately embedded collars and halters do happen and it's nasty, but you can't blame the tool, only blame the owner who allows that to happen

Baillif 04-11-2014 07:51 PM

If you have the prong on snug and leave it on for 3-4 days it will get embedded on its own. Easily avoided by taking it off when not training the dog.

Nigel 04-11-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5362425)
Yes that can really happen. You can also crush a trachea with a regular flat collar or leave it on so that it becomes embedded like I suspect happened with this prong. These are tools and all can be abused unfortunately.

:thumbup:

This is abuse, doesn't matter if its a prong that's been used improperly, altered/sharpened, or an embedded flat collar, there is a human to blame, not the tool.

Baillif 04-11-2014 07:59 PM

I'm about 99% positive it was just left on. You can helicopter a dog with a prong collar on and not get it embedded like that. Put it on tight and snug and go 4 days without taking it off though and that's what you get. You can get that kind of thing with e collars too if you put it on snug and don't rotate the collar often enough. It eventually rubs it's way in. Kind of like how people get bedsores in hospitals.

Sunflowers 04-11-2014 08:00 PM

179 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madisonmj97 (Post 5362449)
What is it suppose to do? I used it to keep from pulling, but on my big black male it didn't work... He was just way too aggressive. Are chain choke collars ok?

Training is what will get the dog to stop pulling.

Prongs and choke chains are not recommended for puppies under six months.

Sunflowers 04-11-2014 08:01 PM

179 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5362473)
If you have the prong on snug and leave it on for 3-4 days it will get embedded on its own. Easily avoided by taking it off when not training the dog.

It was also probably a cheap Chinese prong instead of a high-quality one.