German Shepherds Forum banner

Wow... Can this really happen? Prong collars

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Redrider469 
#1 ·
See less See more
#5 ·
I agree with Michelle, all tools can be dangerous. Unfortunately embedded collars and halters do happen and it's nasty, but you can't blame the tool, only blame the owner who allows that to happen

#8 ·
I'm about 99% positive it was just left on. You can helicopter a dog with a prong collar on and not get it embedded like that. Put it on tight and snug and go 4 days without taking it off though and that's what you get. You can get that kind of thing with e collars too if you put it on snug and don't rotate the collar often enough. It eventually rubs it's way in. Kind of like how people get bedsores in hospitals.

#11 ·
Yes this can happen - one this severe was most likely due to having the collar being left on and having the prongs grow into the neck. This would not happen from a well timed, fair correction.

I agree with the rest, who said that any collar can be abused - flat, prong, choke - all are tools with specific uses.

I have had a friend purchase a prong collar from a company that does NOT file the prongs to take off the sharp edge, they are just sharp, flat metal. She called me in tears (she has used a prong collar before and knows the correct use) because her dog had scrapes on his neck from the prong collar rubbing on his neck. We quickly identified the problem, she returned the prong, got a Herm Sprenger collar and never had another occurance.

So if you go with a prong make sure you have one that has rounded, smooth prongs. Know how to use it correctly, and you are good to go!

#12 · (Edited)
I can't say whether or not it was just left on or someone put it on them and then staked them out, the possibilities are numerous. It was definitely used in the wrong manner obviously. I think some people just pick a training tool up to often and do little research into that training tool and when used in the wrong way, results turn out bad, mostly for the dog. I can see where injuries can happen if not used properly.

Before I put one on Cruz, I watched several different training video's on introducing dogs to prongs. I took it step by step. He now does pretty well with it and doesn't fight it like he did the gentle leader which can also cause injury, not to the extent of this example but still cause injury.

#13 ·
Yes, but THIS can also happen with a regular collar left on a dog too tight as the dog grows

Don't let AR nuts scare you. That will never happen with a properly used prong

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.