German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/)
-   -   He doesn't like the vet... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/436777-he-doesnt-like-vet.html)

Madisonmj97 04-11-2014 03:43 PM

He doesn't like the vet...

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 199201

DJEtzel 04-11-2014 03:44 PM

He looks pretty relaxed/calm and accepting to me! ;)

Hopefully you're rewarding him a lot to make it a positive experience.

Madisonmj97 04-11-2014 03:51 PM

Yup, I try too!

ZoeD1217 04-11-2014 05:42 PM

We had a vet visit today and it was pretty much traumatic for the both of us.

Super cute pup!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Chip18 04-11-2014 05:48 PM

Treats! Make practice runs at the Vet office maybe just a weigh in and treats a few times :)

ZoeD1217 04-11-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5362193)
Treats! Make practice runs at the Vet office maybe just a weigh in and treats a few times :)

This is what they suggested to me today. Bring her in to get weighed and get treats and love a few weeks in a row. This was our 4th visit and by far the worst. She screamed and peed everywhere over just trying to get her weight.

Chip18 04-11-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 (Post 5362225)
This is what they suggested to me today. Bring her in to get weighed and get treats and love a few weeks in a row. This was our 4th visit and by far the worst. She screamed and peed everywhere over just trying to get her weight.

WOW OK that does sound like a problem? I think it's still the right approach
but maybe back it up and slow it down a little.

How much trouble would it be to go to the vet office for a walk? Don't go in ,just take a walk around the property a few times. Then try taking in her for a weight in after a few weeks?

I've never had this problem but that kind of behaviour strikes me as extreme, so dragging in her isn't going to work here.

So maybe going even slower is a better approach?

Baillif 04-11-2014 06:53 PM

I don't like em either. They have a nasty habit of running off with a lot of my money.

Madisonmj97 04-11-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5362481)
I don't like em either. They have a nasty habit of running off with a lot of my money.

Hahah, indeed they do tend to do that. Tried to get me to pay $225 for some puppy kit... Like no. I think I'll pass.

ZoeD1217 04-11-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5362433)
WOW OK that does sound like a problem? I think it's still the right approach
but maybe back it up and slow it down a little.

How much trouble would it be to go to the vet office for a walk? Don't go in ,just take a walk around the property a few times. Then try taking in her for a weight in after a few weeks?

I've never had this problem but that kind of behaviour strikes me as extreme, so dragging in her isn't going to work here.

So maybe going even slower is a better approach?

I suppose I'll have to just see how it goes next week. I'm all for waffling around outside if needed. She isn't scared to go in... And she whines and acts like her life depends on getting petted by the office girl. She's okay until you try to get her on the lowered table/scale. Then she flips out and it's all downhill from there. It took a bit to calm her down and then they coaxed her back up for shots... which she was really not even phased for. It was so strange. She does hate getting her nails clipped so much that I have to take her in to get them done. Maybe the shiny exam table is the same type they put her on to clip nails? It just made me feel awful to see her so stressed out.