German Shepherds Forum banner

OAS survivor. Is this a sable shepherd?

2K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  GSDlover143 
#1 ·
Rescue I help at took in several of the OAS dogs. This beauty was listed as a coyote hybrid. Looks like a Sable Shepherd to me. What do you all think?

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes, light sable. Can't tell how tall he/she is. My brother had a coyote hybrid. Coyotes aren't very big. I just don't see it in this dog. But a big part of the coyote cross is the way they carry themselves and their facial expressions. That's what I remember most about my brother's dog. Almost shifty looking at times. Your dog is beautiful, it's eyes...stunning!

#7 ·
It looks like purebred GSD to me. Coyotes *can* be bigger, at least here, they can be up to 70lbs. But that is all dog, and looks all GSD to my uneducated eyes. I see them all the time here. In fact, they were just howling a victory kill about 20 minutes ago across the road.

#10 ·
Wow! And we're almost neighbors. Coyotes in my area are probably 30-55 lbs. catch them on my trail cam a lot. They like our property for some reason. Anyway, so it is possible to make a larger hybrid with those larger coyotes it appears. Still shepherdmom, IMO all I see is GSD.

#8 ·
Is that purple on the tongue? Isn't that something that a purebred would have? Midnite and Brennan both have it. I don't think I've ever seen that on a mix breed, maybe a chow mix, but I personally have only seen it with purebreds.

#12 ·
very nice, I'd say no coyote and coloring looks to me to be red sable

#19 ·
No coyote phenotypes at all from the images you posted, looks like a beautiful sable GSD!

#25 ·
I had a pure coyote, a 57 lb Airdale mix from her (he jumped our fence from his owners shed) and adopted a chow-ote.

I really don't see any coyote.

Wolf hybrids I've had two..it COULD be a wolf hybrid.

Coyotes had a very particular type of saddle in their pattern and the sable effect is agouti bands (I cant tell if present but I see no coyote anyway)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.