Question about non GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about non GSD

So for the past 2 weeks my husband has been seeing this Chocolate Lab at work, and played fetch with him and stuff. And when he saw him yesterday he was all skin and bones obviously not getting any food, and nobody caring for him. My husband felt really bad for him so he called me to go and pick him up. Long story short I am trying to find his owner's, with no such luck. Their are no lost dog for a chocolate lab anywhere and he did not have any tags or nothing. So my question is, how old do you think he is? I don't think he's very old at all, but how can I get an estimate of his age, until we take him to the vet. I am going to put a little weight on him before he goes to the vet, cause he's going to need shots and everything. He is the sweetest dog and Dixie is loving having a big dog to play with well as much as she can, he can't play rough.. yet lol

Any educated guesses would be apprecitated

Dixie-Born 06-04-12
DixieGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have no idea about how old he is, but isn't that the sweetest face EVER in that second picture. Is he neutered? You can also take him to the vet and they'll scan for a microchip...did you name him yet?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes! the sweetest face!! Lol he has such a sweet disposition, which I am glad for and No i haven't.. yet lol. And ya I know there wasn't one. And honestly I don't really want to find his owner's, I mean who in their right mind lets a dog go and not look for him what so ever. Frusterates me, but he's in good hands now

Dixie-Born 06-04-12
Old 03-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Great looking dogs. I once had the same combo, worked out well.
rickaz80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can take him to your nearest shelter, they will scan him for you for free. Someone out there may be looking for him, or have been for a long time. You just never know.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGSD View Post
Yes! the sweetest face!! Lol he has such a sweet disposition, which I am glad for and No i haven't.. yet lol. And ya I know there wasn't one. And honestly I don't really want to find his owner's, I mean who in their right mind lets a dog go and not look for him what so ever. Frusterates me, but he's in good hands now
Not to be argumentative but maybe the chocolate lab is from a longer distance away and the owners might have no idea where he is hence making it difficult to look for him in your area. If the pooch is such a good dog maybe it is indicative of a good home and owners but unfortunately is lost for quite some time and far away from home. I'd at least try and locate the rightful owners and if that fails then you would have a clear conscience if you should keep him....imagine if your beautiful shepherd got lost and wandered 20-40 miles away. Yes, I know you would do your level best to find her and would be ecstatic if Dixie was reunited with you.

Not trying to be a prick but just trying to describe a possible situation which could exist.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Agree with the others on trying to find the owners as much as you can... MY guess.. of no education really, just from looks, lol, is 1.5-3 years. He's a beauty.. I love chocolate labs

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well thank you for taking him in and yeah doesn't sound like a stray,something must have happened for him to be loose? Some good suggestions given for maybe finding his owner.

My ball park "guess" would also be in the 1.5 to 3 year range
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everybody. And i understand all the possible situations, im not going to just keep him without trying. I have had him checked for a chip, like i said above mabie i wasn't clear and there wasnt one and i do have posts out of finding him, in near and far locations. I am trying to find his owner cause i do not know his story, and i would be devastated if somebody had Dixie and didn't try to find me, i would search **** and high waters for her. But anyways he seems to be a good dog, is sweet and stays when told. Well see what happens in the next few weeks/months.

Dixie-Born 06-04-12
Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Definitely get him scanned. Any vet clinic or shelter can do it.

How long have you been feeding him? He looks like he's back to a good weight. No ribs showing but not fat like most people are used to seeing Labs.
angelas is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.