What color? [New foster long coat GSD!] - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2014, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What color? [New foster long coat GSD!]

Hey guys,

Quick one today as I'm running out the door. Just wondering if anyone knows what color little miss Sheba is? She was surrendered today to my rescue, shes an 18 month old undesexed female long coat (glamour coat? Not sure what its called).

Don't worry, the rescue I work for never adopts out undesexed animals. She is already being booked in for desexing in two weeks.

She is COMPLETELY untrained. Very dominant (attacked our dominant JRT twice) and very human focused, she whines and barks if not touching a human.. Lived her until life with no rules. So I'm going to have fun training her LOL

But unsure as to what color she is considered.

Can't really see it in these pictures, but she has a big feathered tail, feathering around the front limbs, chest, stomach and face.
Shazzyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

She looks just like my Athena. A beautiful blk/tan!

Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Very pretty! I'd say she's a blanket back black & tan

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pretty girl! I vote black and tan too
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would say black and tan (very pretty girl)

I would also say she is not a long coat, but a glamour coat - slightly longer than your normal stock but not long enough to be classed long.

Her coat is very similar to Harry's and he is more a glamour coat.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yupp, Pretty girl! Black and Tan.

She may be fearful of the dominant dog and thus lunging to attack and drive the threat away. Hard to say. It is not necessarily dominant behavior.

If the JRT is a bitch, you may want to reconsider this whole thing, if they will both be living as house pets. Spaying does not make bitch-bitch aggression any better.

But if she came in today that can also play into it. I would limit interactions with other dogs until she is more settled and then go slow.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
I would say black and tan (very pretty girl)

I would also say she is not a long coat, but a glamour coat - slightly longer than your normal stock but not long enough to be classed long.

Her coat is very similar to Harry's and he is more a glamour coat.
Thank you! I wasn't sure about what she would be considered coat length wise with GSDs. If she was a WSSD she'd be a long coat, because long coats have the feathering =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Yupp, Pretty girl! Black and Tan.

She may be fearful of the dominant dog and thus lunging to attack and drive the threat away. Hard to say. It is not necessarily dominant behavior.

If the JRT is a bitch, you may want to reconsider this whole thing, if they will both be living as house pets. Spaying does not make bitch-bitch aggression any better.

But if she came in today that can also play into it. I would limit interactions with other dogs until she is more settled and then go slow.
Yes the JRT is an undesexed bitch. She is not undesexed by choice, unfortunately her health is not well. She will be crossing the rainbow bridge this year. She would not handle surgery, we fear she will pass on the table. We would rather she pass with us there, holding her.

However we have made some progress today! Yesterday Sheba would attack any of the dogs if I tried to pet them. Today I am able to pet her and call another dog over and pet them at the same time. I am able to pet another dog, when Sheba comes over and I ignore Sheba. She won't attack. She just complains and walks away. Then I tell Jesse to go play and call Sheba back and tell her what a good girl she is for accepting the fact I wasn't giving her attention.

I try and give them attention in order. Jesse (my oldest dog), Esmeralda (white shepherd pup) then Sheba (foster). Teaching her that just because she isn't getting attention right now doesn't necessarily mean she won't get attention at all.
Shazzyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.