German Shepherds Forum banner

Color help!?!

3K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  GSDlover143 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#23 ·
God only knows, maybe felt he was posting in misinformation thursdays.

She looks like a coat. That fluff will change, but she looks like she is going to be either long coated, or a plush.

#25 ·
Meanwhile back to the OP, I think she'll stay fluffy. Look at the bottoms of her back feet, if they're black on the heels and she has black extending down past the knee on her front legs, she might be a rich bi-color. They can have tan points on their head, around the mouth and my bi-color had some silver on his belly.

#26 ·
Nah, I don't think so, the ears are brown. There is no penciling on the toes. There is a LOT of tan for a baby this age.

It looks kind of like a German Show line pup.

I could be wrong...

#33 ·
This may be obvious to some but thought I'd share (I'm new to this site but not GSDs):
1. The first picture in the thread is not a large Grey area. It is the sunlight. You can see the bright area on the wall.
2. My guess is "Black and Tan". Puppies are significantly darker than their adult colors will be. Females will get much grayer in their saddle as they get older but I would be surprised to see much Grey in a puppy at this age.
3. Puppies have a completely different coat than an adult. They have a fine, somewhat fluffy coat. This coat will be gradually lost to their adult coat. An adult should have a 2 layer coat. A soft insulating layer underneath and a coarse overcoat for undercoat/rain protection. I'm not as familiar with long coats but have seen pictures of them as puppies. This puppy looks more like a thicker regular coat than a true long coat.

Hope this helps.

#34 ·
This may be obvious to some but thought I'd share (I'm new to this site but not GSDs):

1. The first picture in the thread is not a large Grey area. It is the sunlight. You can see the bright area on the wall.

2. My guess is "Black and Tan". Puppies are significantly darker than their adult colors will be. Females will get much grayer in their saddle as they get older but I would be surprised to see much Grey in a puppy at this age.

3. Puppies have a completely different coat than an adult. They have a fine, somewhat fluffy coat. This coat will be gradually lost to their adult coat. An adult should have a 2 layer coat. A soft insulating layer underneath and a coarse overcoat for undercoat/rain protection. I'm not as familiar with long coats but have seen pictures of them as puppies. This puppy looks more like a thicker regular coat than a true long coat.

Hope this helps.

It helps!!

#35 ·
No. Its not a true long coat (no undercoat) it looks like a long stock coat -- still double coated and becoming more and more common... and very much like my puppy did at that age. She will most likely end up with a ton of tan. Op I will pm you some pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.