German Shepherds Forum banner

Tooley Lou, 20 weeks (Mal)

3K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Suka 
#1 ·
Our most recent training video :)

https://vimeo.com/89264593

She's really been testing me as a trainer, but the little victories are starting to pay off.

Plus, who can say no to that face?

My little Mini Mal is 23 and a half pounds!

She sure is a pretty little thing.

And so proud.

Thanks for looking :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Boy, you can just see those wheels turning in her head!!! She's gorgeous!

#7 ·
She's crazy independent. Luring is a no-go for her, for the most part. If it's not her idea, it's not going to happen. I'm much more used to a dog that pushes into me for working and is almost a bit more "needy", but she is much more self motivated. Plus, her drive is through the roof INSANE, so if I don't figure out her source of motivation, she can get frustrated easily. She is a very powerful little thing already, so using a bit of frustration once we get her motivation figured out will probably work in my favor.

We are working a lot more on bonding and general engagement recently ;)

#8 ·
We have a Mal (note the "a" .. apparently East Texas is not big Mal country) at our local AKC training club. Fairly young, but nowhere near the level of gorgeousness of your baby. As in on the far end of the scale from gorgeous. Was doing an agility demonstration (they used several dogs at different stages of expertise). She was a little all over the place, but I think even tho her dad was probably 6'5" tall .. he couldn't get to places fast enough to prompt her what to do next so she just did what she wanted.

#22 ·
Not consistently enough for my liking. She is an independent dog and prefers to make decisions on her own thinking, and luring is not going to be the most effective way of learning for her. I can shape almost every exercise the same way I can teach luring, so it's not an issue for me at this point.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#24 ·
Two questions:

1: Do you have a pic of her head as a side view? I'm interested in the angle of the stop.

2: What is she like in day to day dog/owner relations? GSD psycho puppy like or fairly mellow? It's difficult to not start the search for another Mal when looking at her.

#25 ·
1:

2:

In everyday life, she is very, very sweet. Independent, like I said above, but has crazy food drive and toy drive that is easy to use in my favor. She is very social and likes to cuddle on the couch with me. She really hasn't mouthed me like any of my GSD's puppies have in the past. She is much more agile than they are and much more aware of her own structure at this age. I wouldn't call her mellow at all, but she is easy to keep entertained and is good in the crate now.

#28 ·
Hmmm. So there is a slight stop there, more of a deepening slope. My current female GSD is a small little gal, and is missing the extreme GSD stop. I have been wondering if there might be Mal somewhere in her past(not breeder purchased). Thank you very much for the pics, she is stunning for sure, she looks so so so intelligent. Is she bizarrely sure of herself? Almost dangerously so? My female Mal was, nothing backed her down, granted she could handle almost anything thrown her way. She also had off the charts toy drive, I didn't tap into the food drive, but she ate with gusto. Yer gonna have a ball with her.

#30 ·
In this picture she looks so poised and elegant.

She really has a beautiful feminine face and I love the strength you can see in her body.

I have only met one Mal in person. I was at a pet supply store for nail clippers. The Mal and owner were ahead of me in line. Owner was paying for their purchase not paying attention, Mal was in a down. I made eye contact with him and smiled and he didn't want to break his down but he stretched out and licked my toes - I had peep toe heels on. I was laughing so hard- he made my day:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.