Pictures from training yesterday ! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Pictures from training yesterday !

Took Eli out yesterday with a buddy of mine and do some training together at petco and homedepot .
He is so darn perfect on vest it's crazy.

Heard a noise and lost focus though here .

He has a ways to go but I'm so proud of him and how far he has come in the year I have had him.
His focus and anxiety needs improvement but boy does he make me proud.

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.."
shilorio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What are you training him for?

I never understood something. Why do dogs that are in training have a 'do not pet' vest? Don't you want people to come up to them so that they become socialized? Sorry if I sound ignorant and I hope you don't mind me asking...?

His coloring is gorgeous though. I'm glad training is going well C:
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looking great! We are starting training next week at a place that also trains service/therapy dogs. I am looking forward to determining if Samson has a knack for either as he grows and develops!
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Great shots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
What are you training him for?

I never understood something. Why do dogs that are in training have a 'do not pet' vest? Don't you want people to come up to them so that they become socialized? Sorry if I sound ignorant and I hope you don't mind me asking...?

His coloring is gorgeous though. I'm glad training is going well C:
Socialization does not mean that the dog has to INTERACT with humans, dogs, etc. It means that dogs need to be used to these things in their environment and accepting of them being around. If the OP is training this dog as a service dog, you DON'T want the dog thinking that people are there to pet him. He will be WORKING and expected to completely ignore all other stimuli, so it is easier on training to keep people away and you can move the dog closer to them as you're proofing attention and commands with more distractions.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Great shots!

Socialization does not mean that the dog has to INTERACT with humans, dogs, etc. It means that dogs need to be used to these things in their environment and accepting of them being around. If the OP is training this dog as a service dog, you DON'T want the dog thinking that people are there to pet him. He will be WORKING and expected to completely ignore all other stimuli, so it is easier on training to keep people away and you can move the dog closer to them as you're proofing attention and commands with more distractions.
Excactly (:
If you let a working dog have all the love and distractions while on vest he will then think it's okay to focus on other people other than his handler. Which is no good at all!! Because you want your dog to focus on what you need him to be doing (his tasks)
Elios is in training for anxiety and panic attacks so say, when I'm having a anxiety attack he nudges me and distracts me . He knows " deep therapy pressure" which is when he lays on my lap with pressure. It calms people down who are having attacks.
Back to the no touch patches, a lot of people just come up and pet your service dog and it gets so frustrating it really does haha. He gets socialized by seeing all the people and dogs .
And when he isn't on vest he can be a dog and he knows the difference between eat and no vest. (:

Old 03-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tratkins View Post
Looking great! We are starting training next week at a place that also trains service/therapy dogs. I am looking forward to determining if Samson has a knack for either as he grows and develops!
It's amzing when the dog have that instinct and does it naturally ! It's amazing what dogs can do ! I'd like to hear more updates on your guy(:

Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilorio View Post
Excactly (:
If you let a working dog have all the love and distractions while on vest he will then think it's okay to focus on other people other than his handler. Which is no good at all!! Because you want your dog to focus on what you need him to be doing (his tasks)
Elios is in training for anxiety and panic attacks so say, when I'm having a anxiety attack he nudges me and distracts me . He knows " deep therapy pressure" which is when he lays on my lap with pressure. It calms people down who are having attacks.
Back to the no touch patches, a lot of people just come up and pet your service dog and it gets so frustrating it really does haha. He gets socialized by seeing all the people and dogs .
And when he isn't on vest he can be a dog and he knows the difference between eat and no vest. (:
This is so awesome c:

Thank you!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilorio View Post
It's amzing when the dog have that instinct and does it naturally ! It's amazing what dogs can do ! I'd like to hear more updates on your guy(:
Thank you! Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago, I took Samson to a local outdoor mall for a walk so he could see stores, cars, people etc and proofing some commands with those distractions. I made a quick stop at the Apple store to make an appointment (cracked my iPhone...again!). Anyway, while I was taking to the customer service guy, I had put Samson in a sit/stay and he laid watching me intently the whole time (I treated about every 60 seconds to keep his focus). He was perfect and I was dancing inside! There was a lady across the store that I had noticed was watching us intently. I thought she just wanted to pet my cutie, but after I released him and we were headed out the door, she actually approached me and said she had been working with service/therapy dogs for 20 years and could totally "see" something in him and was very impressed in our work together with him being so young. She watched me do a few other commands with him and he did great...even with a family standing by waiting for their turn to pet him, he didn't waiver! I was so happy! I am so excited to see how he continues to develop (he just turned 4 months). We are starting next week with the AKC STAR Puppy and will move on from there!
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tratkins View Post
Thank you! Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago, I took Samson to a local outdoor mall for a walk so he could see stores, cars, people etc and proofing some commands with those distractions. I made a quick stop at the Apple store to make an appointment (cracked my iPhone...again!). Anyway, while I was taking to the customer service guy, I had put Samson in a sit/stay and he laid watching me intently the whole time (I treated about every 60 seconds to keep his focus). He was perfect and I was dancing inside! There was a lady across the store that I had noticed was watching us intently. I thought she just wanted to pet my cutie, but after I released him and we were headed out the door, she actually approached me and said she had been working with service/therapy dogs for 20 years and could totally "see" something in him and was very impressed in our work together with him being so young. She watched me do a few other commands with him and he did great...even with a family standing by waiting for their turn to pet him, he didn't waiver! I was so happy! I am so excited to see how he continues to develop (he just turned 4 months). We are starting next week with the AKC STAR Puppy and will move on from there!
That's awesome!! (: he's sounds like he is on the right track!! (:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.