When should I get my 8 week old puppies next shots? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default When should I get my 8 week old puppies next shots?

He's had his first, 7 in 1...distemper, parvovirus, adenovirus, hepatitis, parainfluenza, 2 strains of Leptons. Which ones and when do I get his next ones?
Madisonmj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is a huge cocktail of vaccines. I would read this and decide.... Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | 2013 and 2014 Canine Vaccination Protocol - W. Jean Dodds, DVM
Your question is posted in the wrong forum.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madisonmj97 View Post
He's had his first, 7 in 1...distemper, parvovirus, adenovirus, hepatitis, parainfluenza, 2 strains of Leptons. Which ones and when do I get his next ones?
WOW! That is a whole lot of viruses to be pumped into a brand new little body! IMHO...if your vet pushes the 7 way.....I'd look for a new vet who doesn't over-vaccinate!

Here is a schedule from lifetime vaccine researcher Dr. Jean Dodds

W. Jean Dodds, DVM2013 and 2014 Vaccination Protocol
Note:
The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one Dr. Dodds recommends and should not be interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It’s a matter of professional judgment and choice (YOUR choice not the vet).

9-10 Weeks Old: Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV)

14-16 Weeks: Same as above

1 Year: Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

1 Year: Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (OPTIONAL = titer)

For Dr. Dodds’ position on various canine vaccines, please refer to the following posts:
Frequently Asked Questions about Titers and Vaccination Protocol
Dr. Ron Schultz on Lyme Vaccine
Dr. Ron Schultz on Leptospirosis Vaccines
Kennel Cough Complex Vaccines
Infectious Canine Hepatitis
Canine Influenza (H3N8)
Vaccinations: A Global Perspective

Dr. Jean Dodds

Hemopet / NutriScan
11561 Salinaz Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92843

Other Educational Sites:

www.dogs4dogs.com

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/AnimalWellness/PetVacc.aspx

Vaccine Articles and News | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Dr. Patricia Jordan DVM: SMOKE AND MIRRORS | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Hope this helps!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

The breeders got them done before I got him, but thanks!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
The breeders got them done before I got him, but thanks!
Ahhhh...understood!

Now it's YOUR choice of what he gets!

Moms
Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Ahhhh...understood!

Now it's YOUR choice of what he gets!

Moms
Yes but what is the main vaccine I should get for him? Since he has had all those other ones like 2 or 3 weeks ago... He will be 9 weeks this Friday.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

While I agree that a 6 week GSD pup should only get a ( killed parvovirus )
My pup was given a 7 & 1 and Corona at the breeder 12/25 - 2/7 ..

My vet at 10 weeks gave a 7 & 1 no Corona or Bordetella because the dog is not boarded and Corona in California has not been seen in many years.

Find a vet you trust and follow instructions to the tee ..

The second round went well from Sunday ..
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Yes but what is the main vaccine I should get for him? Since he has had all those other ones like 2 or 3 weeks ago... He will be 9 weeks this Friday.
As Dr. Dodds says: "Parvo/Distemper ( Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV) @ 9-10 weeks".

Please read the articles so that you can make your own, thought out decision. There is no way of telling WHICH dog can have an adverse reaction to any particular vaccination either immediately or years from now. That is why Dr. Dodds and Dr. Schultz has put information out there on using a Limited Vaccination Schedule.

"Dr Ron Schultz (the world's foremost independent authority on canine vaccines) hates to see them in with anything else and, in puppies, advises that they are completely finished with the viral inoculations before getting a vaccine against Lepto, which he neither recommends nor advocates - even in Lepto endemic areas."
"I have seen older dogs go into kidney failure within two days of receiving a Lepto vaccine."
"Vaccines can also cause the disease you're attempting to prevent. In the Canine Health Concern vaccine survey, 100% of dogs with leptospirosis contracted it just after being vaccinated against it. Leptospirosis, of course, attacks the kidneys."

“Since there are so many Leptospirosis serovars out there, and since the pathogenic strains vary, and since the vaccines cannot guarantee protection from infection, it would make better sense to not inject your dog with any Leptospira vaccines. The trade offs to avoiding adverse events from vaccination - not the least of which can be renal failure within 48 hours of injection, or four years of dermatitis and puritis (itching) – would be the human caretakers actually knowing their dog is sick with a pathogenic strain and having their dog presented immediately for treatment. To do this, animal guardians need to be aware of the symptoms of Leptospirosis in the dog.” http://dr-jordan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/LEPTOMANIA-by-Dr.-Patricia-Jordan.pdf

@ Vaccines kill and injure all that are injected. | The Pet Whisperer? "Dr. Pitcairn is a PhD in Virology! Dr. Ron Schultz is PhD in Immunology and the absolute only one that has vaccinology knowledge at PhD level. He has a great webinar you can review for free on Maddie’s Institute entitled Saving Lives with Antibody titers." Maddie's Fund - Saving Lives with Antibody Titer Tests

Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots by Dogs Naturally on July 12, 2011 Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Protecting Your Puppy From Disease: Protecting Your Puppy From Disease | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Bordatella Vaccinations: Bordetella Vaccination for Dogs: Fraud and Fallacy | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Mind you, I'm not saying not to vaccinate, just suggesting that you look into this before letting someone else make a decision for you.

BTW....Cute Pup! Have fun with him!
Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 03-11-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
As Dr. Dodds says: "Parvo/Distemper ( Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV) @ 9-10 weeks".

Please read the articles so that you can make your own, thought out decision. There is no way of telling WHICH dog can have an adverse reaction to any particular vaccination either immediately or years from now. That is why Dr. Dodds and Dr. Schultz has put information out there on using a Limited Vaccination Schedule.

"Dr Ron Schultz (the world's foremost independent authority on canine vaccines) hates to see them in with anything else and, in puppies, advises that they are completely finished with the viral inoculations before getting a vaccine against Lepto, which he neither recommends nor advocates - even in Lepto endemic areas."
"I have seen older dogs go into kidney failure within two days of receiving a Lepto vaccine."
"Vaccines can also cause the disease you're attempting to prevent. In the Canine Health Concern vaccine survey, 100% of dogs with leptospirosis contracted it just after being vaccinated against it. Leptospirosis, of course, attacks the kidneys."

“Since there are so many Leptospirosis serovars out there, and since the pathogenic strains vary, and since the vaccines cannot guarantee protection from infection, it would make better sense to not inject your dog with any Leptospira vaccines. The trade offs to avoiding adverse events from vaccination - not the least of which can be renal failure within 48 hours of injection, or four years of dermatitis and puritis (itching) – would be the human caretakers actually knowing their dog is sick with a pathogenic strain and having their dog presented immediately for treatment. To do this, animal guardians need to be aware of the symptoms of Leptospirosis in the dog.” http://dr-jordan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/LEPTOMANIA-by-Dr.-Patricia-Jordan.pdf

@ Vaccines kill and injure all that are injected. | The Pet Whisperer? "Dr. Pitcairn is a PhD in Virology! Dr. Ron Schultz is PhD in Immunology and the absolute only one that has vaccinology knowledge at PhD level. He has a great webinar you can review for free on Maddie’s Institute entitled Saving Lives with Antibody titers." Maddie's Fund - Saving Lives with Antibody Titer Tests

Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots by Dogs Naturally on July 12, 2011 Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Protecting Your Puppy From Disease: Protecting Your Puppy From Disease | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Bordatella Vaccinations: Bordetella Vaccination for Dogs: Fraud and Fallacy | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Mind you, I'm not saying not to vaccinate, just suggesting that you look into this before letting someone else make a decision for you.

BTW....Cute Pup! Have fun with him!
Moms
I will, & thanks you!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

go to the vet with the puppy and ask him or her what vaccines the puppy needs
thing is nobody has a clue as to where you live or if leptospirosis is rampant in your area
corona is generally not necessary
but the 5 way vaccines are necessary and those include parvo and distemper
at the very least get the 5 ways done at the vet so you know they have been done correctly
theres been a few threads lately about puppies that have contracted and died from parvo and one of a puppy overseas with distemper
both are ugly viruses that can kill your puppy quickly
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.