German Shepherds Forum banner

When should I get my 8 week old puppies next shots?

1K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Madisonmj97 
#1 ·
He's had his first, 7 in 1...distemper, parvovirus, adenovirus, hepatitis, parainfluenza, 2 strains of Leptons. Which ones and when do I get his next ones?

#2 ·
#3 ·
WOW! That is a whole lot of viruses to be pumped into a brand new little body! IMHO...if your vet pushes the 7 way.....I'd look for a new vet who doesn't over-vaccinate!

Here is a schedule from lifetime vaccine researcher Dr. Jean Dodds

W. Jean Dodds, DVM2013 and 2014 Vaccination Protocol
Note:
The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one Dr. Dodds recommends and should not be interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It’s a matter of professional judgment and choice (YOUR choice not the vet).

9-10 Weeks Old: Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV)

14-16 Weeks: Same as above

1 Year: Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

1 Year: Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (OPTIONAL = titer)

For Dr. Dodds’ position on various canine vaccines, please refer to the following posts:
Frequently Asked Questions about Titers and Vaccination Protocol
Dr. Ron Schultz on Lyme Vaccine
Dr. Ron Schultz on Leptospirosis Vaccines
Kennel Cough Complex Vaccines
Infectious Canine Hepatitis
Canine Influenza (H3N8)
Vaccinations: A Global Perspective

Dr. Jean Dodds

Hemopet / NutriScan
11561 Salinaz Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92843

Other Educational Sites:

www.dogs4dogs.com

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/AnimalWellness/PetVacc.aspx

Vaccine Articles and News | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Dr. Patricia Jordan DVM: SMOKE AND MIRRORS | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Hope this helps!
Moms:)

#7 ·
While I agree that a 6 week GSD pup should only get a ( killed parvovirus )
My pup was given a 7 & 1 and Corona at the breeder 12/25 - 2/7 ..

My vet at 10 weeks gave a 7 & 1 no Corona or Bordetella because the dog is not boarded and Corona in California has not been seen in many years.

Find a vet you trust and follow instructions to the tee ..

The second round went well from Sunday ..

#10 ·
go to the vet with the puppy and ask him or her what vaccines the puppy needs
thing is nobody has a clue as to where you live or if leptospirosis is rampant in your area
corona is generally not necessary
but the 5 way vaccines are necessary and those include parvo and distemper
at the very least get the 5 ways done at the vet so you know they have been done correctly
theres been a few threads lately about puppies that have contracted and died from parvo and one of a puppy overseas with distemper
both are ugly viruses that can kill your puppy quickly

#11 ·
Alright, thanks! I'll talk to the vet about it,I was just nervous about it because he had so many only 2 weeks ago so I though it would harm him getting more so soon. But you're saying that he mainly only needs parvovirus and distemper?

#12 ·
yes it is called a 5 - way or puppy shot
7 ways should not be used and tells me your breeder probably ran to the feed store to purchase them
leptospirosis vaccine can cause an allergic reaction so your breeder needs to purchase only 5 ways or she risks having an allergic reaction for which i am certain she is unprepared
it is good you are researching this though :)

if you feel that lepto is not an issue where you live then decline the lepto portion as well as bordetella which is aka kennel cough

you may discuss the lepto portion with your vet and ask them if it is a major concern where you live or where you will be taking the puppy such as camping or hiking

#18 ·
GNC vitamins

puppy vitamins... From petsmart

well that is different then
you said gnc and as near as i know they only carry human things
either way, with blue food he needs no vitamins
what he needs is his next set of vaccines
the strongest immune system in the world will still cave under parvo or distemper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.