German Shepherds Forum banner

Mixed? Asking niceeeely.

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Madisonmj97 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 ·
Perhaps not because he's all beat up. The picture is too small to tell if it's just scar tissue without fur. Looks like has black skin. Lab, no, head and chest would be wider and rounder. Either american working farm dog (no consideration given to coloring) or some sort of hound mix.

#7 ·
I'm not sure. I am not familiar with whites. But I have seen some poorly bred black and tans look very similar. I love it when people can say without a doubt that a dog is mixed without seeing a picture of the dog standing up.

Also, with all the variations of this breed, due to what they were bred for and where, and then the mixtures between the lines of this breed, it is a breed that has a LOT of variation.

If someone is telling you the dog is purebred, and has the sire and dam, and they look purebred, then you have to decide whether or not it is possible. And even then, sometimes a pup looks more like a grand sire than either parent.

#10 ·
I'm pretty sure he isn't pure, I got him from a pound. They said he was white GSD, but he has to be mixed with something cause he has yellow along his back and a wider snout. I thought he'd be mix with lab but idk now

#8 ·
yes, without seeing a sideview or a height reference or knowing the age. This could be a skinny teenage white that some other dog knocked around.

My pure black female has some white on her nose - it's a scar from when she was 3 months old and Otto used to hold her bitey mouth closed.

#12 ·
post some pictures of him from the side and post his age. Just because he came from a pound doesn't mean he's not all GSD.

Working lines have a shorter, rounder muzzle

Look at this head and nose, short and round. You think he's a mix? He's not, I can trace his line all the way back to Horand with some notorious dogs along the way.

#13 ·
He looks thin to athletic. Probably if he was mixed with lab, he wouldn't be thin. They tend to carry weight with little trouble. But I couldn't say for certain that he is mixed at all.

As for some yellow of the hair, lots of whites have some shades in their coats.

#14 ·
^ this. I've seen random occurring whites (i.e. not from 2 white parents expecting white puppies) that had faint yellow or gray markings in their muzzle and saddles.

#23 ·
In the picture of him standing up, I'm seeing patterning on his back with buff on the white.

Add that to the eyes/head shape and my random guess would be 3/4 GSD and 1/4 pittie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.