So what is he then? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So what is he then?

A girl and her dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

For some reason, I cannot post pictures. Nonny is about 12 weeks old, weighs around 12-15 lbs. Has all of the markings of a GS, but his fur is a bit wiry. I posted a pic elsewhere and had a friend who has been in rescue for over 30 yrs tell me he definitely has terrier in him. Not 'pit' terrier, more like fox terrier. I did some digging and I can totally see that in his legs. They're sturdy, but quite straight and long, his back legs are slender looking from the side, almost straight. Well, today I posted another pic and the same person said "definitely not GS" but not sure what he is. I don't know enough about breed specific behavior to site any of that as an indication of his make up.

I wish I could post a pic so I could get more opinions.

I am so disappointed! I love him anyway, and he'll likely stay with us. But, I'm heartbroken right now. I REALLY wanted a GSD/mix and so did my daughter. I knew that he wouldn't hit all of the standard GSD stuff b/c he is a mix, but I'm really disappointed. So far the shelter we adopted him from lied/was incorrect about his age, and possibly lied to me about his breed - probably just to get him adopted. Going by the loss of his puppy teeth- two top front teeth lost already- he's about 12 weeks, maybe more, but he definitely was NOT 10 weeks old on Jan 20th.

As for his weight and size, he's had a couple of bouts of diarrhea and didn't eat much during those times (I rested him and fed light meals in those times) so that could account for the low weight. But geez- everyone else's GS's are 20+ lbs by 12-14 weeks, not barely 15 lbs!!

Now I'm wondering if he doesn't even have the Lab they said he did! I'll have to call them on Monday to ask where they got his info. Then again, they may 'cover' themselves and insist he's GSD/Lab mix. Who knows, maybe the owner/surrender person had it wrong.

I'm just heartbroken. I know that seems unloving towards Nonny. I do love him! I'm just taking it really hard b/c I was so happy to have found the type of dog I wanted, that's what is making me even think about giving him back! Would it be wrong to bring him back and go through a different source for a GS? Ahh, I'm just typing out loud....
Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A girl and her dog View Post
For some reason, I cannot post pictures. Nonny is about 12 weeks old, weighs around 12-15 lbs. Has all of the markings of a GS, but his fur is a bit wiry. I posted a pic elsewhere and had a friend who has been in rescue for over 30 yrs tell me he definitely has terrier in him. Not 'pit' terrier, more like fox terrier. I did some digging and I can totally see that in his legs. They're sturdy, but quite straight and long, his back legs are slender looking from the side, almost straight. Well, today I posted another pic and the same person said "definitely not GS" but not sure what he is. I don't know enough about breed specific behavior to site any of that as an indication of his make up.

I wish I could post a pic so I could get more opinions.

I am so disappointed! I love him anyway, and he'll likely stay with us. But, I'm heartbroken right now. I REALLY wanted a GSD/mix and so did my daughter. I knew that he wouldn't hit all of the standard GSD stuff b/c he is a mix, but I'm really disappointed. So far the shelter we adopted him from lied/was incorrect about his age, and possibly lied to me about his breed - probably just to get him adopted. Going by the loss of his puppy teeth- two top front teeth lost already- he's about 12 weeks, maybe more, but he definitely was NOT 10 weeks old on Jan 20th.

As for his weight and size, he's had a couple of bouts of diarrhea and didn't eat much during those times (I rested him and fed light meals in those times) so that could account for the low weight. But geez- everyone else's GS's are 20+ lbs by 12-14 weeks, not barely 15 lbs!!

Now I'm wondering if he doesn't even have the Lab they said he did! I'll have to call them on Monday to ask where they got his info. Then again, they may 'cover' themselves and insist he's GSD/Lab mix. Who knows, maybe the owner/surrender person had it wrong.

I'm just heartbroken. I know that seems unloving towards Nonny. I do love him! I'm just taking it really hard b/c I was so happy to have found the type of dog I wanted, that's what is making me even think about giving him back! Would it be wrong to bring him back and go through a different source for a GS? Ahh, I'm just typing out loud....
Go here upload file and then copy and paste as IMG file for forums/Message boards.
TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

My GSD put on about a pound a week. He was very likely ~12lbs at 12 weeks. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into whether or not your dog is GSD based on weight alone. Each pup is different and living in different circumstances. To be honest, the slower your dog puts on weight the better it is on his joints. I kinda worry about the super big, super young pups and their likelihood to develop HD from carrying around so much weight on such an immature bone structure.
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am sorry that you are feeling disappointed. Nonny sounds like a great puppy--I would try to love him for who he is. I also really doubt that the shelter intentionally lied. They are people, just like you and me, who do their best to try to identify some of the predominant breeds of the mixes that come in. They're not always right. It happens. Same with the age thing. They do their best to get a rough estimate, but it can be very hard to tell unless the puppies were born on site.

If you decide to get another dog in the future and are still set on a GSD, I would look for an adult dog at a GSD-focused rescue (that way, you definitely know what you are getting) or a reputable breeder.
Zlata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Second dog I got was a Boxer/Pit mix, Stewie as a puppy I was looking for a different dog but I wanted to help this guy. I worked wit to help him find a home discovered I had a brilliant smart and happy dog and fell in love with him. Lost him in an accident at 1 year old.

I was devastated! Anyway Stewie was how I found Boxers! I wanted a dog with a personality like my Stewie and that's where it came from was my best guess...I was right

Nobody can tell you what you should do. He may not be the dog you want,,but he very well my be the dog you need? Only you can decide.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Today sleeping, George sent and curled up by him. That's love right there! And my shoe, size 7 1/2

Thursday

Today - Playing with George

Two days before coming home....

Last edited by A girl and her dog; 03-09-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlata View Post
I am sorry that you are feeling disappointed. Nonny sounds like a great puppy--I would try to love him for who he is. I also really doubt that the shelter intentionally lied. They are people, just like you and me, who do their best to try to identify some of the predominant breeds of the mixes that come in. They're not always right. It happens. Same with the age thing. They do their best to get a rough estimate, but it can be very hard to tell unless the puppies were born on site.

If you decide to get another dog in the future and are still set on a GSD, I would look for an adult dog at a GSD-focused rescue (that way, you definitely know what you are getting) or a reputable breeder.
Yep they are mostly volunteers and some could be truly clueless!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

[QUOTE=A girl and her dog;5164305]

Aww and now the game begins! I do see GSD markings not really getting the terrier bit myself, I'd think more crazy eyebrows and a squarer muzzle for a terrier mix? But maybe something else on the small side??

But I do better with Mastiff Pitts and Boxers bully breeds so not an expert here.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Second dog I got was a Boxer/Pit mix, Stewie as a puppy I was looking for a different dog but I wanted to help this guy. I worked wit to help him find a home discovered I had a brilliant smart and happy dog and fell in love with him. Lost him in an accident at 1 year old.

I was devastated! Anyway Stewie was how I found Boxers! I wanted a dog with a personality like my Stewie and that's where it came from was my best guess...I was right

Nobody can tell you what you should do. He may not be the dog you want,,but he very well my be the dog you need? Only you can decide.
Thanks Chip. I'm sorry to hear about your Stewie.

I doubt Nonny is going anywhere; I love him! He's SO smart and willing to please.

But, if he's not a GS, will my GS card be revoked and I won't be able to hang out with y'all anymore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.