German Shepherds Forum banner

Foggy Dew

1K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Oisin's Aoire 
#1 ·
Saw the fog today and had to grab my rig! Photobucket really washes them out and crunches them. What do you all use for forum posting?

See less See more
#5 ·
Photobucket is worried about bandwidth, they strip anything possible and compress the heck out of files. It's VERY likely your ISP has a free package you can setup a front-end on to host pics. I use Free Image Host, it's just for posting up pics on forums and I have never noticed it compressing/stripping info from pictures.

#9 ·
Thanks :) Yes , Nikon. I keep forgetting to take it off the 36.6 MP setting..I wonder , do the bigger files crunch worse?

#10 · (Edited)
For posting on the internet, no you don't need 36.6 mp. Geez thats huge. If you have the space why not but if your memory card or pc memory are a concern you can crunch that down some.

I'm shooting full frame and in the 18mp range. I've printed poster size without any issues with image quality. I shoot in RAW, edit and convert to jpg for posting online. It's quite a lot of work sometimes but gives me full control over my image. This workflow is debated and if I shot a lot of large events and/or weddings it may be a concern but for what I do these days, I prefer it.

I suspect at 36 mp you're in the raw range as well.

If you have that sensitive of an eye for color, I suggest you buy a puck and calibrate your monitor as well. **if you haven't already** :)

#12 ·
For posting on the internet, no you don't need 36.6 mp. Geez thats huge. If you have the space why not but if your memory card or pc memory are a concern you can crunch that down some.

I'm shooting full frame and in the 18mp range. I've printed poster size without any issues with image quality. I shoot in RAW, edit and convert to jpg for posting online. It's quite a lot of work sometimes but gives me full control over my image. This workflow is debated and if I shot a lot of large events and/or weddings it may be a concern but for what I do these days, I prefer it.

I suspect at 36 mp you're in the raw range as well.
Yes , I shoot in RAW. I do have a ton of storage space..but why would I ? Only because I forget to change the setting all the time lol The D800 has options to shoot in 21.1 and 12 MP. I rarely do large events , I do smaller shoots where beyond poster size is required. I did some wall sized metallic murials for a job recently and I have to say the D800 was close enough quality wise to medium format where it was not noticeable I did not use a larger format than 35MM. I just really need to remember to dial it down :) Sacrifice is speed for the D800. Coupled with the 85 1.4 lens it struggles to capture action. I go back to my trusty D700 for any action shots .

#11 ·
Oh , OK wow. Just signed up ad uploaded a few of my recent photos to flickr. What a difference! Check it out if you like , do not mind the firearms or boudoir it is what I have been working on lately lol
Flickr: sandra.muldoon's Photostream

#13 ·
Awesome! Love both subjects.

Man, I wish I had more time to shoot. I miss it. I've never been really good with studio and people, portrait work. I do well with candids. I was doing a lot of event stuff that was published. I've had a few other genres that got published. Photography has always been a passion of mine but life keeps getting in the way.

I feel so out of practice these days. I'm hoping the new pup gets me back into the swing of things again. I was shooting my baby sisters wedding reception last year and the camera body I was using threw up the shutter. Canon fixed it free of charge and it is a "classic" camera body. I've not been able to get my settings quite right since. Frustrating.

#15 ·
I give you credit for doing weddings , I wish I could. I do not have the patience .

It is so true , life does get in the way. I have 2 friends that are traveling doing photojournalism. And getting paid. One just got back from the Arctic Circle ad promises to post pictures once his frostbitten fingertips feel better. To say I am envious would be fair .

Then my 5 year old son broke the hotshoe bracket off my D800 yesterday..I rarely use on camera flash , but still.

The dogs and the kids definitely inspire me. Good luck with the new pup! I checked out your work , it is phenomenal. Ad thanks for turning me on to Flickr :)

#19 ·
Sorry to serial post lol but I just saw the picture of your pooch with the marriage proposal collar! Love it!

#22 ·
Also a big fan of Flickr, here is my photostream, hope you don't mind me sharing - https://www.flickr.com/photos/89566279@N02/ Want to keep tabs on this thread so I can add everyone when I log in to my Flickr account. Some really great photographers here and I'd love to follow everyone!

#25 ·
Also a big fan of Flickr, here is my photostream, hope you don't mind me sharing - https://www.flickr.com/photos/89566279@N02/ Want to keep tabs on this thread so I can add everyone when I log in to my Flickr account. Some really great photographers here and I'd love to follow everyone!
Great shots! I am following you :)

Thanks all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.