Is she a shepherd? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is she a shepherd?

My vet thinks this puppy is a shepherd mix. The shelter vet put down that she was a schipperke. I'm leaning towards shepherd mix or spitz mix. Maybe Belgian Shepherd?

She was 8.6lbs at 10 weeks old, but had coccidia and giardia, was put through spay surgery at 9 weeks, and had puppy mange. She has definitely had a rough start in life!

I am wondering if she is going to change colors on me. She has a brown tinge when the sunlight hits her, and dark grey fuzz on her undercoat and her hindend has a grey tint.

She also has an extra dew claw on her hindfeet.

She is definitely going to grow- she is eating 2 cups a day of food! She's also very very vocal- my vet said she has to be a shepherd as she is so vocal!
Attached Thumbnails
Is she a shepherd?-p1200576.jpg   Is she a shepherd?-p1200575.jpg   Is she a shepherd?-p1200572.jpg   Is she a shepherd?-p1200560.jpg  

Last edited by black pup; 02-04-2014 at 03:29 AM.
black pup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Spay surgery at 9 weeks!! Wow, why on earth would a vet do that? Rescues need to change their protocol on that.

Many GSD's are born with rear dewclaws, the breeder will remove them at a couple days old. I would think she's mixed but then she may be all GSD....you'll have to wait and see how she grows. Around 4 months when the new coat comes in, you'll know if she's going to stay black. Do you know what any of her littermates looked like? That may be helpful in knowing if there is a mix in the breeding.
She is adorable!!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Spay surgery at 9 weeks!! Wow, why on earth would a vet do that? Rescues need to change their protocol on that.
Yeah a friend of mine here got her puppy (from a breeder, not a rescue) spayed at 12 weeks per vet recommendation. Said that the earlier the better. Thought that was WAY too early, but what do I know.

Eitehr way... ADORABLE puppy! I don't know what she is, some kind of shepherd something.. but completely adorable!

Whitney

Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
Gulf Coast Search and Recovery
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

What an adorable baby! Definitely some, if not all, shepherd. Either way, she deserves the best life possible after all that. Lots of love to her and good for you on rescuing that little cutie pie!
DonnaKay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.