German Shepherds Forum banner

Is she a shepherd?

889 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DonnaKay 
#1 · (Edited)
My vet thinks this puppy is a shepherd mix. The shelter vet put down that she was a schipperke. I'm leaning towards shepherd mix or spitz mix. Maybe Belgian Shepherd?

She was 8.6lbs at 10 weeks old, but had coccidia and giardia, was put through spay surgery at 9 weeks, and had puppy mange. She has definitely had a rough start in life!

I am wondering if she is going to change colors on me. She has a brown tinge when the sunlight hits her, and dark grey fuzz on her undercoat and her hindend has a grey tint.

She also has an extra dew claw on her hindfeet.

She is definitely going to grow- she is eating 2 cups a day of food! She's also very very vocal- my vet said she has to be a shepherd as she is so vocal!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Spay surgery at 9 weeks!! Wow, why on earth would a vet do that? Rescues need to change their protocol on that.

Many GSD's are born with rear dewclaws, the breeder will remove them at a couple days old. I would think she's mixed but then she may be all GSD....you'll have to wait and see how she grows. Around 4 months when the new coat comes in, you'll know if she's going to stay black. Do you know what any of her littermates looked like? That may be helpful in knowing if there is a mix in the breeding.
She is adorable!!

#3 ·
Spay surgery at 9 weeks!! Wow, why on earth would a vet do that? Rescues need to change their protocol on that.
Yeah a friend of mine here got her puppy (from a breeder, not a rescue) spayed at 12 weeks per vet recommendation. Said that the earlier the better. Thought that was WAY too early, but what do I know.

Eitehr way... ADORABLE puppy! I don't know what she is, some kind of shepherd something.. but completely adorable! :wub:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.