German Shepherds Forum banner

what color am i?

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  kygsdgirl 
#1 ·
Im a little stumped with one of my pups color, what do you think? black /tan/dilute/faded i dont know what to put on his papers , all siblings are black /red hes my oddball , His dam is black & red ,his sire is black & tan both saddlebacks. He so beautiful but color?i added pics of his siblings for comparisan im new to this so im not sure if this is the correct place etc;

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Looks sable to me. Are the parents in the pedigree database with pictures of grandparents and such to look at what colors are in the pedigree?

#9 ·
Doesn't really look sable to me. Markings are too distinguished. And sable is not genetically possible from black/tan and black/red parents so if he is sable there was a second father to the litter.

Can you post a photo from the side so we can see the whole body and not just the front? My initial guess would be blue dilute black/tan but based on these frontal photos it's hard to say for certain.

#10 ·
I'm guessing the last two pics are his siblings, and they are definitely black and red. Is there any chance one of his parents are actually a "patterned sable"? I was reading an interesting thread about sables in show lines, and the original poster refused to accept the examples of show lines sables because they look like black and reds.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/userfiles/image/V Ronaldo von Arlett.jpg

Your pup looks pretty sable to me, just more of a patterned sable.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#12 ·
Agree with Chris, the dog can't be sable. All the littermates are black and red. Parents are black and red, black and tan saddles. The pup is not sable.

My guess would be a blue.

#17 ·
what color am i

He kinda looks like dad but dad was dark black with little color when he was a pup and has got lighter as he got older ,this pup is the opposite i was thinking a steel blue but his eyes are not bluish like a lot of blues and his nose isn t real lite, maybe i will call him mystery!

#22 ·
oh yes, blue for sure (judging from the pictures).

#26 ·
what color am i

Thanks Chris and everyone who commented , i thought he was blue but it wasnt real obvious compared to most of the blues i have seen, he is a darker version for now but he will get lighter as he gets older maybe,thats a Gsd for ya !never know what going to happen when it comes to color, but thats least important, hes healthy & happy and thats what counts!Well i know what to put on his papers now, thanks again!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.