Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Canidae Dog Dog breed Play Carnivore
Tree Wilderness Adventure Dog hiking Canidae
Rock Tree Geology Boulder Bigtree
Black Mouth Leg Darkness Sleep
Canidae Dog breed Carnivore Wolfdog Sleep

Best year of our life! Our family is complete! Our pups love everything we do and have been everywhere with us. They love training, playing or just cuddling. They are always within 5 feet of us. They love going to restaurants and love being in the car....we questioned shepherds and worried with all the horror story's. After a years worth if research and visiting many breeders....we found a mom and dad we loved...really held firm we wanted two...(have two daughters training for track and field/cross country) this fall and wanted them to each have a running buddy...one dog would not be able to handle the work load for both girls. Got the okay...after much begging and explaining. The training every Saturday has bonded our family even more, and everyone humans included, look forward to training. I can't tell you how grateful we are reading advice and ideas from this site. We also love looking at all the other dogs here! So many pretty dogs. I am also pleased to announce our dogs are not man-eaters, or child-eaters, they do attack anything in sight, they are not bully's and are the most patient dogs I have been around. These are some of the things we were told we would get if we got a German shepherd. Glad we did not listen to people's comments and are so happy we got them! They were one of the best decisions we have ever made! They do snore if really tired......I would change that if I could.....:)
Pics above are from 9 weeks old when we got them.....to last weekend hiking along with the kids and pups climbing boulders....:) there is nowhere the kids can go the dogs will not find a way to follow!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you....
It is busy....but the girls (13 & 16) have been totally involved...:) our 14 year old jack Russell recently died....:-( We loved him but we called him satan. He was the meanest dog ever...did not like kids...even ours....it was a long 14 years with him. We trained him to avoid other kids at all cost....he was allowed around ours but only when supervised. I was very hesitant to get another dog and feared picking wrong....again....we could not be happier! I guess the years worth of research, suggestions, things to look for from a breeder....many things from this site.....really helped! We have been blessed with two wonderful dogs! I wish I could take credit but from what I have witnessed with this breed, they are really easily taught with the right trainer to teach us humans. :)

#6 ·
Awesome story and gorgeous dogs! We have a 5 month old GSD and he's my husbands and my first! First dog actually (we're both in our early 20's)! Chief is turning into the best dog too!! He's so smart and sweet! We have him in training every Saturday also, he's going to be a therapy dog at the Children's hospital! He's been the best decision we've made. We did go through that horrible land shark puppy phase but it was well worth it! I also am I runner like your daughters so he's training to be my running buddy :)

#10 ·
Awwwwwww....such a sweet story....we were very nervous. Anyone you mention a shepherd to in the real world was so negative....after this forum....I felt much better about our choice.

They are so smart....Millie wanted steaks, we had pushed then back to the far corner of the counter tops, she was only 6 months old, we knew she could not reach the deep corner on her back legs.....we turned for one second and she was on the countertop like a cat devouring the filets my husband was preparing to grill. She is also the one that paid attention while we entered the back lawn. She figured out how to unlock the door and open the sliding glass door without help. We now have a security bar from lowes to keep her inside. She seems to be much more into things than Miles. He is my prince...always behaved, gentle and so charming....my girls call them beauty (miles) and the beast (Millie)....although last week at my husbands office he wanted to see what we were doing and decided he needed a higher place to see through the window.... Mammal Dog Canidae German shepherd dog Dog breed

Millie just passed her therapy dog test last November....right after her first bday. She loves it, she is a diva and thinks everyone's attention should be focused on her so it is great work for her. It fills her need to be center of attention. Miles will not be testing for a while if at all, he is much more alert and much more protective with the kids...he also loves to have a conversation. If someone ask him a question....he replies and it usually sounds like a scary dog. The trainer said he needs to be a bit more mature...sounds like chief is a great dog if he is already ready for therapy work. Millie does the mental health hospital, the nursing home area of that hospital and will start the program to help kids read....I am a stay at home mom and need things to do while mine are in school and I can't be of help!

It is amazing how much they bring to your life! We have not been the same and my kids rarely pick a place to go that the dogs are not allowed. We had a huge loss right before we were to pick up the puppy's we reserved. My inlaws have zero boundaries and they were very dangerous to our marriage and children's mental health....the meanest if mean....while we were trying to enforce boundaries they decided to walk away instead of respecting our marriage and girls....the dogs have been a huge source of healing for the girls, and us. The group we train with has become like extended family, the guy who trains our dog even came to my oldest daughters school for career week. He showed off his protection dog and how he trains....just a wonderful group of people....the dogs were one blessing but the people we have gained have been an even bigger one. The girls always say what they are thankful for at night and since we picked the puppy's up they have been on the list every single night, even on the worst of puppy's days...:) I guess we sound insanely cheesy about what our dogs have brought to us, but they have given us so much more than just being our pets....:)

How much do you run? When did you start training chief (who is very handsome)...? What can we expect? Right now they have only run around a mile...the breeder told is to start after they were a year old... The vet said 6 months but the girls will not be training without me until the fall of this year....I trained with them last fall....I want to start working them up to the real workout...so any ideas would be welcomed...we have not run them the full training period yet...the breeder said 1 mile a while, 2 miles for a few weeks, to build slowly so not to hurt their paw pads starting all at once.

Congratulations on your beautiful or should I say handsome chief! I can imagine your joy with your decision, I think we share the same appreciation.
Another great thing about this site, most share the excitement and joy of the breed. People question how we can have a dog with us all day and not go nuts...or how we can spend so much time training and not be sick of the dogs. It is not like any pet we have had...they are a joy to be around and so entertaining.
Great to meet you! Can't wait to see pics of Chief when he passes his therapy dog test, he will look great in the therapy dog vest...:)

#9 ·
View attachment 165033 View attachment 165041 View attachment 165049 View attachment 165057 View attachment 165065 View attachment 165073 View attachment 165081 View attachment 165089 View attachment 165097 View attachment 165105

Best year of our life! Our family is complete! Our pups love everything we do and have been everywhere with us. They love training, playing or just cuddling. They are always within 5 feet of us. They love going to restaurants and love being in the car....we questioned shepherds and worried with all the horror story's. After a years worth if research and visiting many breeders....we found a mom and dad we loved...really held firm we wanted two...(have two daughters training for track and field/cross country) this fall and wanted them to each have a running buddy...one dog would not be able to handle the work load for both girls. Got the okay...after much begging and explaining. The training every Saturday has bonded our family even more, and everyone humans included, look forward to training. I can't tell you how grateful we are reading advice and ideas from this site. We also love looking at all the other dogs here! So many pretty dogs. I am also pleased to announce our dogs are not man-eaters, or child-eaters, they do attack anything in sight, they are not bully's and are the most patient dogs I have been around. These are some of the things we were told we would get if we got a German shepherd. Glad we did not listen to people's comments and are so happy we got them! They were one of the best decisions we have ever made! They do snore if really tired......I would change that if I could.....:)
Pics above are from 9 weeks old when we got them.....to last weekend hiking along with the kids and pups climbing boulders....:) there is nowhere the kids can go the dogs will not find a way to follow!

They are beautiful dogs

#16 ·

My guardian while I shower....:)
Dog breed Tail Canidae Nap Leg

Millie loves pillows...

Miles always ready to go...
Sleep Nose Nap Bedtime Interaction

My niece watching a movie with Millie, she has to pin her ears down to the see movie.
Mammal Vertebrate Dog Canidae Dog breed

Miles looking for his human in the crowd of schools kids...
Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Dog Canidae

After a long walk around the community.

Miles during training.
Dog breed Dog Mammal Canidae Carnivore

Miles asking for a treat... Mammal Snout Canidae Carnivore Dog breed

The only Time we know Millie is safe...she loves adventures.
Canidae Birth Carnivore

After a long day at the beach...

#17 ·
OOOO I get to see the pictures. They are just gorgeous and they both look like such fun. Lucky you. Im so glad you have them both. :D congrats again on Millie doing therapy work, its so rewarding. Im going to try again with my boy when hes more mature and we'll see how this fear stage goes.

#18 ·
She was made for it....she gets all the attention from everyone around her...fulfills her diva needs. It is rewarding. The people love the visit...it really does mean a lot to them.
Good luck with your boy....I understand you waiting....we are also waiting until miles matures. I will post more pics later :)) it is so much fun looking at all the puppy pics. Do you have albums or threads with all of your baby's?

#20 ·
We are only a year in, let's hope it continues this nicely....our trainer is amazing! If it was not for him, we may not have lasted this long. He told us we had no option but to work a lot with the dogs separately! They needed to developed individual personalities and needed to do things the other did not. He gave us great advice about raising two together.
Another factor....we have four of us going to training, all of us on the same page, all of us helping every day. If it was just me....I would not be able to do it....and it be successful.
I do the 8:00-3:00 alone...and I feel like I never sit down....between training separately, play separately, feeding, potty breaks, and group play.... But the girls and my husband come in and we divide and conquer the afternoon shift...I don't see how any one person could raise two and give them everything they need. I will also say, Millie will get a dose of I would rather play with miles before I listen but that is far and few between....Miles, so far has never tested us. He lives to work...and his work is listening to us. Millie thinks we live to serve her.... Sometimes we think she is a part cat. ;-)

#24 ·
Miles and Millie are beautiful and I love how cuddly they are! You,your family and the pups deserve a big bragg. Thanks for sharing. You made my day!

#25 ·
Wow what wonderful litter mates for your family. Its so cool to raise the siblings together like they are. You guys are doing a great job raising your new family members. Great story!

#35 ·
Canidae Dog Floor Dog breed Carnivore

Miles babysitting....
Canidae Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Miles babysitting...

Vertebrate Mammal Dog breed Dog Canidae

Can't clean the pottys without shadows...

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

Miles in a sloppy bow, he was to excited about snow to be to focused.
Vertebrate Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed

Millie and her Jolly ball

Miles is such a prince....
Vertebrate Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed

Millie/ jolly ball
Mammal Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Miles loved the snow...
Pink Interaction Hair coloring Ear Canidae

They never get to far from visiting toddlers...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.