Will he be a blanket back or saddle back? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Will he be a blanket back or saddle back?

He is 16 weeks old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Will he be a blanket back or saddle back?-1388447992165.jpg  
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

My guess would be saddle, usually the blankets don't have as much tan on their chest as your guy does already, and the black stays past the elbows. He's got such nice rich pigment, though! I'd guess he may not get a bitch stripe. Which I'm not sure happens with every saddle or not, but I think it's only a saddle thing, and not a blanket thing?? Now I'm curious, maybe someone that knows better than I will chime in. :-)
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
My guess would be saddle, usually the blankets don't have as much tan on their chest as your guy does already, and the black stays past the elbows. He's got such nice rich pigment, though! I'd guess he may not get a bitch stripe. Which I'm not sure happens with every saddle or not, but I think it's only a saddle thing, and not a blanket thing?? Now I'm curious, maybe someone that knows better than I will chime in. :-)
Thanks I was wondering the same thing. I have never seen a bitch stripe on a blanket back.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Saddle back....Blanket back....Bi Color...what's the difference?

I just searched "blanket back" and there are lots of threads with puppy pics and then adult pics. The one above shows some blanket backs, and the pups look similar to yours, maybe? So maybe he could be a blanket? Lol, I don't know. It's so hard to look at a GSD pup and predict what they'll be. There is so much variance even within the different coat types. Blanketback/saddleback/bicolor/sable/black sable/red sable/light sable/black and silver lol. And THEN there are people that claim something is a bicolor that others say is def isn't a bi but rather a black and tan. The same with black sable vs dark sable. Is there any other breed with that type of craziness within it for color?!

The best thing to do is look at the parents. Do you know what his parents looked like?
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

My female had almost that much black when she was that age, a little less on the underside of her chest. She's is DEFINITELY only saddle.

14 weeks

7.5 months
Old 01-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Bump

Old 01-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

What did your pup's parents look like, and the dogs in his pedigree? That will give you a good idea what he will turn out like. Below is my guy and his parent's and uncle. I know he's bicolor and will look like the two bicolors in his pedigree, but only because of the pedigree.

Father is top left, mother top right, my pup bottom left, uncle bottom right. Mother's line has bicolors, father is dark sable, with mostly dark sables in his pedigree.
Attached Thumbnails
Will he be a blanket back or saddle back?-yos-family.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Could be either. He looks very similar to my Jax at about the same age and she's a blanket back.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Could be either. He looks very similar to my Jax at about the same age and she's a blanket back.
Jax, yours was the pic I saw when I searched for blanket backs that made me think, "hmm, OP's dog could be a blanket!" :-) Pretty lady you have there!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't know who his parents are. I actually got him from someone who didn't have the means of taking care of him. Wish I knew though!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.